Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can the a/c temp control be by-passed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 PM
zorro1car
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the a/c temp control be by-passed?

I quite frankly am not sure why there is a temperature control....it is never cold enough....but, I somehow broke the sending wire (white) and now the compressor does not cut on. Can the temp. control be by-passed so that the compressor runs and is 'cold'..? If not, are there tips on installing a new temp. control...???
Old 11-30-2006, 12:54 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you can hard wire the a/c circuit to be on all the time (bypass the temp control), so whenever you turn the fan on, the compressor will run. I think I did this on my 84, but that was way longer than my memory...... what was the question?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:33 PM
zorro1car
Instructor

I just talked with mechanic and he informed me that to by-pass the temperature control would adversely affect the evaporator.......oh well.....I guess I will install a temp control...
Old 12-01-2006, 04:22 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I just talked with mechanic and he informed me that to by-pass the temperature control would adversely affect the evaporator

A direct connection would not "adversely" affect the evaporator in a general sense, however when the evaporator core temperature dropped below, say 30F or so, and depending upon the relative humidity, the evaporator's exterior would simply ice up. You could tell it was icing up when the vent temperature suddenly rises (cold to warm) and does not drop back down again; what happens is the ice insulates the evaporator's cooling fins and the air passing through the fins does not cool down; discussed further here http://www.griffiths.com/achelp/achelp4.html under the heading:
The AC Temperature Switch - An example in detail with a typical 911 Porsche

So, a direct connection would not adversely kill the evaporator, however, if you ran your compressor for extended periods of time with an iced up evaporator, and depending upon how cold the evaporator's temperature dropped below 30F or so, you might run into a situation where the refrigerant oil circulating through the evaporator with the refrigerant starts to collect in the evpaorator (gelling) in which case your compressor would not get lubricated. However chances are, knowing about it now, you would simply turn off the system when the vent temps rise and let things melt down for a few minutes.

Otherwise, you need a thermostat, aka: 0157051700,90161311900,91161312100,91161391900
Old 12-01-2006, 08:21 PM
zorro1car
Instructor

Thanks, the feedback has been very helpful.....I think I will go ahead with the temp control....although I always keep it on max cold....

Quick Reply: Can the a/c temp control be by-passed?