Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Roll bar cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 02:31 PM
Fassi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Roll bar cover removal

I would like to have my targa bar painted professionally. Is it easy/advisable to remove the roll bar cover in order to do this? Can someone please tell me how this is done and if it's a good idea? Thanks!
Old 01-31-2002, 09:19 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just inquired about this same thing at my local body shop. they said that they just mask and spray - no need to remove the entire targa bar.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:04 PM
Will Ballance
4th Gear

Before you pay good money to have the work done, you may consider doing it yourself. I was browsing through the tech. articles here and found one about painting the Targa rollbar.

<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/5150targa/page3.html" target="_blank">Painting Targa Rollbar</a>

The operation looked fairly straight forward. It may be a little time consuming to mask everything as suggested and it takes a little fortitude to attack the car with paint, but it looks worth the effort. Cost is quite minimal when done yourself.

---
Will Ballance
1982 911SC coupe
Old 01-31-2002, 11:41 PM
Fassi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. My concern is getting around the trim along the front. I wonder if it will have to be removed even if they can just mask off the rest.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:16 AM
MichaelW
Track Day

When I painted my bar I first put a coat on without removing the targa bar seal which works ok. I took the masking in behind the seal and the targa bar then draped it down over the seats.

I later removed the seal and painted because I could get a really good coat of paint in the above area.

Also, be very carefull about sanding. You need to do a thorough job of sanding all imperfections or they will definitely show once you start painting.

Lastly, I also tried to remove my targa bar cover and could not get it off. I removed all the attachment points in the wheel well and along the front of the bar under the seal, but it would not budge. I think someone may have dumped some type of glue somewhere. I really made a mess of the whole deal. I would recommend leaving it on also.

Good luck!
Michael
87 Targa

Quick Reply: Roll bar cover removal