Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

When to shift? How to produce the most area under the curve - Carrera 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:11 PM
lfornace
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for the record, the "TR6" on the thrust/speed chart above is not a triumph, but a nickname for a formula car powered by a supercharged yamaha which went to about 11,300 rpm before the rev limter.

Nice charts Bill. I'm new to the porsche world, but it looks like they make peak torque quite high in the powerband, thus shifting at the last minute is the way to go: no fancy thrust curves required...
Old 11-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Laifman
Sure about that? It seems to me, and I'm open to being shot down here, but it seems to me that for a given equal torque, for acceleration purposes, I'd rather be in the lower gear than the higher gear - it's all about leverage right? So, all other things being equal, you WILL be accelerating at a faster rate in 2nd than 3rd. Right? So, it seems you actually will be better in 2nd than 3rd with even slightly LESS power than in 3rd. Right? So, the real question is: how much LESS power can you take in 2nd and still be better off than in 3rd? Or, how much more power do you need in 3rd to make up for the loss of leverage over being in 2nd?

Jay,--I didn't get into too much analytical work here,--just from the feel of driving all 911s. (from early 911 to 964, 993, 996 and now 997). I'm finding now that I just don't need to push the thing to redline as I have plenty of lower end torque,--far more than I ever had in a past 911.

Quick Reply: When to shift? How to produce the most area under the curve - Carrera 3.2