Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM
George Weigand
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire wear

I recently had my '81 911SC Fuch wheels balanced and found that the front tires (Kumho ECSTA Supra 205/55R16 91V) have worn down considerably on the inner edge after about 15k miles. Before I begin to rectify the situation with allignment, tires, ballance, etc. I would appriciate any comments from others.
Thanks
PS I live in Cypress, CA.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2006, 02:22 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relative newbie here, but I like to guess. Could be either too much toe-in or too much negative camber. If there is too much toe-in, as was the case with my old Saab, my alignment guy told me it is like driving a snowplow. Too much negative camber and the tire rests on the inside of the tread. (I might have negative and positive mixed up, but you get the idea.) Either way, I would guess this is just an alignment issue. Sorry about the tires. Sometimes they can take both front tires off and remount them on the opposite side so you get a little more mileage out of em.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:05 AM
dsmith
Racer

You have an alignment issue and need to get readings to find out why/what is off, or not to your liking. I would suspect a toe issue. Hopefully, nobody has lowered the front without setting toe.

Is the wear about the same on each side? Actually, 15k miles on a cheap junk tire like the 712 isn't bad for a 911, me thinks, though I would expect that kind of wear on the back too. For the least tire wear, you want close to 0 degrees toe and camber, erring to negative camber and positive to (toe-in) for stability. If you want a performance oriented alignment, you basically have to throw tire wear out the window.

Reminds me of BMW owners coming in to my shop for alignment "problems" with 20k miles on tires. "No, sir, that's the way it's supposed to be. That's why it doesn't handle like a Taurus..."
David
Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would agree that you most likely have an alignment issue.

I noticed significant wear on my Kuhmo's on my '84 this summer after the tires had about 2000 miles on them. It was definitely an alignment issue.

A street alignment setup should allow the front tires on a 911 to well outlast the rears. I've put 24,000 miles on a set of rears on a 911 and still had plenty of tread left on the fronts (yes, lots of highway driving!). Get that alignment checked!

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 11-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Seattle
5th Gear

I think you just need to take the corners faster to even out the tire wear. :-)

Quick Reply: Tire wear