Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Re-Keying Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Keying Kit?

So I need to rekey my door locks..have the 101 book but just where do you find the re-key kit it talks about?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Super_Dave_D
Advanced

I dont know but wouldnt you be better off just taking out the handles and taking them to a locksmith?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Well it's a long and sorted story.. my car is in another State and go up there and work on it once in a while.. anyway.. got the locks out and started calling locksmith's.. no one wanted to or could, supposedly, re-key the locks.. this is the same town that at Ace Hhardware, when presented with orginal key and a new key blank to be cut and told it was for a Porsche his reponse was "whoa".. and he didnt want to really even cut the key.. but did anyway and it works fine.. anyway.. so after being shot down my locksmiths in this small town in GA I decided to buy two used ones from DC Auto.. I told Richard I wanted two cylinders keyed alike so I could just throw them in the doors and be done..and normally he sends the parts to my dad's shop where my car is..but he sent the locks to my house here in FL.. and of course they are not only not keyed alike the key that comes with them doesnt turn either lock..and springs and stuff are falling out of them.. so $90.00 later I wasnt really looking at spending much MORE money on this debacle..but I did find a locksmith down here who said he "probably" could do it.. and took the locks to him yesterday.. we'll see what he does..
Old 11-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Super_Dave_D
Advanced

I think they are just scared of the Porsche name - tell its for a VW. BTW - like you car - perfect color!!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Heh.. partial to the red myself.. I shoulda gone coupe though.. kudos to yours as well.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you're somewhat talented with little parts you should be able to remove the cylinders and then, carefully, take the little brass pins out, lubricate everything, and reinstall them. The real issue is lacking good PM,--preventative maintenance. You need to hit them with a lubricant occasionally or they WILL seize on you. (Ask me how I know).
Old 11-23-2006, 05:37 PM
the911Tprocess
8th Gear

Hi guys, I rekeyed my locks myself(sort of), I've got a 72 and one lock had a different key to open it, so I picked the key that i wanted to use to operate both of them and then pulled the lock that did not work with the key that I wanted to use. I then removed the lock cylinder, being careful to ensure that the pins did not fly or fall out. I then put the key that I wanted to work into the lock cylinder, and then using a small needle nose pliers pulled the pin or pins that did not lay flat just below the surface of the lock cylinder. If they are above the surface then the key will not turn. My experience was I had to remove two pins and the lock turned freely when I replaced the cylinder in the handle. Yes I know that there are less pins in the cylinder therefore less security but I avoided similar issues with lock smiths that indicated a couple of hundred dollars to re key the lock simply by saying Porsche. I kept the removed lock pins and once I get around to it, I'll remove the lock again, file down the offending lock pins so that they lay below the surface with the key in and that will fix the security issue.
Hope this helps.
Marc

Quick Reply: Re-Keying Kit?