Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Auxillary heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:28 AM
zorro1car
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxillary heat

Has anyone ventured into an auxillary type of heat? I read about the electric 'spot' heaters, but based on the btu output, I doubt they can actually provide substantial heat. My 1980 911 provides good heat on 50 degree and above days....
Old 11-06-2006, 08:46 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you determined that your stock heating is functioning properly? On my '88 although I've backdated my heat (i.e. removed the engine compartment and footwell blowers), my car has no problem heating up rapidly even on the coldest days. Stock (with the blowers), my car heated more than an average person could bear. Good luck!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 11-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even my brother's '70 911 will melt your feet, so before venturing out to find an aux. source of heat, insure your heat exhangers are solid and not leaking, your heater boxes are solid and closing correctly/fully and all your heater fans are working. It's a very good system and will keep you warm in even single digit temps if all is functioning perfect.

There is a fan in the engine compartment that will always run when the iginition is on that helps move heated air forward. It's very common for these fans to fail at this age. Replacing that fan will help a lot in moving air forward.

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 11-06-2006, 07:12 PM
zorro1car
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks....this is helpful.....this is my first Porsche and I was concerned about the heat......I found two of the problems...the automatic temp control doesn't work and the emergency heat lever pulls up but slowly comes back down. I guess I need a new heater cable. It is comforting to know that the heat is really good when operating properly.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I test drove my first 911 in below zero temps (F). After the car was fully warmed up, I had to 'turn down' the heat a bit since it was too much (just like KC mentions above). You'll be pleased with the heat once everything is working right.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

That era 911 wasn't always the best for producing serious heat but from where you are (NC) you should have plenty. I recall one coming down out of the mountains of Colorado with temps in the 1-20 degree F range which forced me to drive in a lower gear just to generate enough heat to keep the windows clear. Earlier ones were simpler as long as you have intact heat exchangers. With Auto Temp Control you have one more thing that can go 'tummy up' and mess up your heat production.

I have to reluctantly admit that the best '911' for heat is the 996 and 997 autos,--water cooled!

Quick Reply: Auxillary heat