Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wants to go to high beam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 09:58 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wants to go to high beam?

I've looked at some of the threads about low/high beam and turn signal switch. I haven't taken anything apart but it seems that what I'm experiencing means replace the switch, but wondering if anyone had experienced what I am. After returning to straight after a turn, turn signal disengages but beams switch to high. I pull the switch to put them back to low, but at times even a hard bump will engage the high beams again. Lows work, Highs work (when switched pushed forward), flash to High (temporary pull back) works, turn signals work, and fogs work (including disengage when H4s on high beams). It's just that the lights seem to have a mind of their own and want to go to high beams (when they're 'having a mind of their own' it seems both lows and highs are on (as opposed to when I push the lever forward I get just highs).

Is a new switch in order ? Same switch used for turn signals and low/high beams ?

Thanks

<edit>
I think I found my answer, it's the Euro H4s (even with 55/60 bulbs), that must have fried the low/high/turn signal switch. I've just sent Marcus Sucro a note asking about his relay kit, and guess I'll be replacing the switch.
</edit>

Last edited by DB_NC_95C2; 11-05-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:07 AM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, you need a new switch (about $100 if I remember correctly). Mine did the exact same thing. You might try a search for a repair thread on the subject.

Steering wheel removal and installation of the switch is easy but plugging the wires in under the dashboard had me lying upside down with a flashlight in my mouth. The procedure is detailed in "101 Projects for your Porsche 911" book.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:23 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your symptoms are just like mine were at the start of the failure mode.
your old switch may be repairable if you are willing to disassemble it & cold-set (bend 'em back) the contacts. search on Pelican for photos of the repair.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:23 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur, you need a new switch. I had the same problem/symptoms except that it wouldn't even take a bump. I'd be driving behind someone and the high beams of my H4's/1984 Carerra would come on. Ouch! I'm sure some ppl were peaved. I still need to find time to install the relay parts I bought a few years ago!
Steve
Old 11-06-2006, 02:25 PM
JBO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone on Pelican just posted about this, and they were able to bend the contact with a small screw driver without removing the steering wheel. I'm going to try this this weekend, as I have the same problem and thus far I just removed the low beam fuse and use the high beams all the time, and I'm not getting flashed so they must not be blinding oncoming traffic. I guess without the low beams on as well this is not a problem. Someone on the board suggested this, and said that if the high beam fuse was removed and you tried to just use the low beam, it might try to click over and you would then have no light. I decided it was better to potentially irritate an oncoming driver
Old 11-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Needs a new switch. Next to the chain tensioners, this is the next most common failure item of that era's 911s. Sometimes it is aggrivated by an improper voltage going through the relay,--but most of the time it is merely the swtich aging. (That 'happens with the H4 mod).

Let me guess. Mileage is between 68,000 and 78,000 miles? (or a multiple of that,--assuming an eariler owner replaced it once before).
Old 11-07-2006, 02:42 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good thread at Pelican Parts BBS (http://forums.pelicanparts.com) titled "turn signal switch quick fix pictures". Worth a look.

Quick Reply: Wants to go to high beam?