Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Stereo recomendations for '87 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
Does anyone make a unit with a screen that drops down?
+++
The Alpine referenced above has it's face drop down to load a CD. The hinge is at the bottom of the unit.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:16 PM
rentadate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i have a pioneer head unit. fit in correctly with all parts given in the box...and came with a complete wiring diagram! (Didn't get that with my alpine for some reason.) I say get a Pioneer Premier with some features, but nothing too fancy for about $150-300. I had one for several years in my BMW for over 6 years, and I sold it with the car still working. (my ex girlfriend yacked on it after one of those crazy ****show parties.)

I prefer the flip down face one, due to the fact if the face stays on, dust doesn't seem to dirty up the laser reader as fast.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out long time Rennlist sponsor Rod Birch here who is a great resource. I flew Rod up to Spokane to work some of his magic with one of his installations on my `87 Cab.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:05 PM
fastpat
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
I was wondering if anyone has installed a head unit that has a 'flip-up' screen. and if so, how does it fit?
I was thinking this new approach would be necessary on my next stereo, but it appears that all of the screens flip towards the top and they would interfere with the dash.
Does anyone make a unit with a screen that drops down?
+++
I think I've seen some double DIN units that do this, the screen tilts by the bottom coming out, with the angle adjustable by the user. It's to adjust the viewing angle to minimize the poor view you'd get at excessive angles. I don't think I've ever seen a nav/audio unit with a screen that slides out and then down.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:16 PM
fastpat
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jsabatini
Thanks to everyone for the input, think we are going with the Alpine based on the iPod connectivity.
I just read a bit about that, seems the 2006 models will control an iPod with just the purchase of a cable for about $23.00, no adapter required. That would be a huge improvement over the interface unit I bought about 4 years ago, for way more money, that only partially worked.

The Alpine 98xx series does look nice, particularly the DVA-9861.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:36 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmarton
Does anyone have suggesions for speakers that will fit into the original door cut outs / back deck? I want to keep the original look of my 89 911 which I just got.
I bought Boston Acoustics that fit both the doors and the back deck. They sound very nice as well. Not much bass in the car without more modern amps and subwoofers but I don't care, I have the sound of a flat-6 with SSIs and M&K to listen to.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by fastpat
I just read a bit about that, seems the 2006 models will control an iPod with just the purchase of a cable for about $23.00, no adapter required.
Yep, that's correct. A $29 cable from Crutchfield and the Alpine will control everything. You can search for anything on the iPod; song, artist, album, etc. A great way to run an iPod. Plus, the same cable will charge it too.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by DB_NC_83SC
I bought Boston Acoustics that fit both the doors and the back deck.
DB: Can you post exactly what BA models you have that fit?
Old 12-16-2006, 03:42 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the input, think we are going with the Alpine based on the iPod connectivity.
Ended up with the Alpine 9857 and really love the way it controls the iPod. Got the Alpine head unit, an Orion 4x100 amp and new Eclipse front and rear speakers. Only problem is there is no base, so i took it back this morning and of course they said I needed a subwoofer but I said no way. They are putting in some better speakers in the doors and putting in some materials to try and redirect the base back into the interior.

How do you get decent base in these cars without a subwoofer?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Jay H
Drifting

How do you get decent base in these cars without a subwoofer?
911 doors are pretty good for helping produce bass. You probably need at least 6.5" cones in the doors and a good amount of power to get some low frequency response in the car while driving. You have to insure that the drivers are completely sealed off in the door so that the rear wave of the speaker does not cancel out the front wave that fires into the passenger compartment. An air tight seal is mandatory.

Automobiles have such high noise floors, that you typically need some sort of dedicated sub to get any sort of noticeable bass out of an audio system. I'm no pro, but after installing many audio systems over the years since I got started on car audio in '86, every system I've ever had that was worth anything has ended up with a sub to get low end into a car.

I've had some luck with a pair of really high end Phase Linear 6x9 speakers with a big power amp (100 x 2) driving them in a rear deck situation with a trunk for the 'enclosure'. But, nothing compares to having a 8, 10, 12 or a pair of whatever size subs pounding away in a dedicated enclosure.

If you are not concerned about cutting up your 911, I'd stuff the biggest driver you can into the doors for low end, or do the same for the rear deck and get something like a pair of nice free air 6.5" subs to fire away back there. It seems like you have a nice big amp and decent power outputs are mandatory for good bass response.

Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations probably has better suggestions than what I can offer since he's the pro in the 911 world. I'll bet he suggests a sub too...

Good Luck!

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 12-16-2006, 08:08 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Too much bling for my tastes.

Nakamichi, but I keep it on green / green backlighting.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:13 PM
bd0nalds0n
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently purchased a Kenwood head unit for my 928. It's got two separate external sources--the first is an iPod connector that plugs into where the kenwood CD changer would go.

The second external source--and I think this is just too cool--is a 2' USB plug that comes out of the back of the unit. I bought a couple 8GB Flash drives and a USB micro drive, and it's really easy to transfer music back and forth to the car. It's got an in dash CD/MP3 player, but I almost don't see ever using it. USB is definitely the way to go. The unit was less than $200.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ybGm8Bh...usb&i=113MP532
Old 12-17-2006, 01:00 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

How do you get decent bass in these cars without a subwoofer?
Answered my own question, throw more money at it.

The shop replaced the front speakers with Focal 165A1 Access 6.5" 2-way component speaker system with 120w Aluminum Dome Tweeters and then installed Dynamat Dynabulk Xtreme Bulk Pak and Dynamat 11800 DynaXorb behind the speakers in the front doors and it made a world of difference. According to the package for the DynaXorb these gridded plastic sheets "absorb, diffuse and attenuate speaker back-wave noise and distortion". It sounds great!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:33 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

I second the Alpine 9856 that is what I am running. Good clean sound for low $$$. It also has 2 preamp outs for future compatibility.

Quick Reply: Stereo recomendations for '87 911