Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wow...I think I got hosed...check it out, pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:54 AM
rscredon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had any second thoughts about trying to do as much of the work on my car as my skill level will allow, they have been alleviated. Sorry to hear about your experience Jeremy. The cost savings aside, I know any work I do will be slow and methodical, bordering on ****. I hope you get everything back together.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:58 AM
jdogporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
Hey Jeremy I don't remember, what exactly were you having done anyway ?
Just trying to get it running again. It had not run for 6 years. At first I had thought it was an airbox issue based on what the PO had described as a loud bang...then it did not run again. PO said it sounded like a shotgun when his wife started it. I thought, backfire at startup, blew the airbox. I made an appointment with John Walker to have him take a look at the car and get it running again, but John has horribly limited space and called me back asking if he could cancel as he could not have a car in his shop for more than a couple days. Someone else had referred me to Auburn Foreign Car and they said they had a certified Porsche Mechanic, so I gave them a try. They ended up doing the following work...supposedly.

1. All new fuel injectors
2. Cleaned out the fuel distributor
3. Drained the gas tank.
4. Oil change
5. Replace air intake boot
6. Fix my shroud rubbing on the pulley (as you can see from the pics, this did not really happen.
7. Fix my driver's door handle.
8. Replaced the battery.

I did not know how to fix the airbox issue and felt it would be worth it to have a shop fix it and get the car running again (as I did not know what all it would need after sitting for 6 years), however it ended up being fairly easy things. With the exception of cleaning out the fuel distributor and draining the fuel tank, I think I could have managed most of the things they did. Certainly the oil change and replacing the battery!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:02 AM
H2NO
Instructor

If you paid by credit card, dispute it. You have documented their poor workmanship better than 99% of other credit card customers. If you paid by check, I would try to stop payment. They're probably not thieves, just really sloppy. If they repair cars in a sloppy manner, they probably run their business the same way so they may not have deposited your check yet.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:02 AM
jdogporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by SeattlePorsche
Jeremy,

My mechanic in Federal Way is Ognian. He is a Saab expert, but he can work on any car. He has high dollar BMW and Mercedes in his shop. The shop is called OTEMS in the phone book. It is right behind B&B Auto Supply. I trust him with everything about my Saab. He will work on my AC on my 81SC later. He is super fair about price. That is what I like about him. He gives me way too many freebies. I recently bought a 1986 Saab 900 Turbo with 272k miles. I took it to Ognian to look the car over, sort of a post purchase inspection. The PO removed the entire AC and Ognian has access to used Saab parts, so I asked him how much to restore the AC. He said 600$. He couldn't get the AC to work and had to spend 7 hours troubleshooting it. He worked until 2am because he promised me the car by 8am. He didn't charge me a penny for the extra labor. I usually have to insist that he charge me for certain things because I don't want to take advantage of him. So for certain things, Ognian would be great. Tell him I sent ya and I guarantee he will look after you. I also bought my Sachs clutch from him this week and he resurfaced my flywheel for the Porsche.

But other major things I would take to John Walker or Gerber Motorsports. John only works on air-cooled Porsche. Just like Ognian and Saabs, John knows everything about P-cars. He is going to do a major maintenance on my 993 next Friday. Gerber is very meticulous about writing out what you need and what they did. They also have at least 3 mechanics and one manager Mark who used to be a mechaic and he knows everything Porsche too. John is a one man show. No receptionist, no other mechanics, no manager. So he is hard to schedule an appointment with. So I am saving my big things for John later. I will ask him to reset my CO levels when I am done with the engine and exhaust.

Good luck!
Agreed! John Walker is great. I have had him work on my Porsches before and he has always been awesome. Read my previous post in this topic on why he did not this time. Thanks for the info on Ognian as well. I was just at B & B yesterday picking up some fuses. Now I know of another great place to go! I will tell him you sent me if I need to hit him up!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
jdogporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by btdt50
If you paid by credit card, dispute it. You have documented their poor workmanship better than 99% of other credit card customers. If you paid by check, I would try to stop payment. They're probably not thieves, just really sloppy. If they repair cars in a sloppy manner, they probably run their business the same way so they may not have deposited your check yet.
That is not a bad idea at all. I paid with my Mastercard debit card (tied to my checking account). I know you are still able to dispute charges even with a Mastercard bank card. I will talk to the owner/service manager today and will see where that gets me. If it gets me nowhere, I will call my bank. If that gets me nowhere, I might call a lawyer, although I would hate to go that route. I have before I took it to the shop and after the shop pictures, so that helps.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks who did you bring the car to? If the project is too big for John walker give Squire a call @ Squires in Bellevue. He should be able to get you squared away
Old 10-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Seattle
5th Gear

If you haven't gone in to talk to the shop yet, I would go that route first. AFC has a good reputation with the BMW crowd and I have heard good things about the shop manager.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:10 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by Seattle
If you haven't gone in to talk to the shop yet, I would go that route first. AFC has a good reputation with the BMW crowd and I have heard good things about the shop manager.
Yep, that is what I am going to do today...in just a couple hours in fact. I think this should always be the first step. I was referred by a Porsche owner who gets his car serviced there, so I had hopes it would all work out well. Unfortunately it has not been as smooth as I would like, but I am holding out some hope that it will end nicely. I will let everyone know how it goes later.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by Luus
that sucks who did you bring the car to? If the project is too big for John walker give Squire a call @ Squires in Bellevue. He should be able to get you squared away
Auburn Foreign Car. I have heard good things about Squires as well, but have not used them personally. I hope to be able to do most of my own work after this!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:55 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Winter Spray

Ice,
I have heard various recommendations about winter storage, from doing nothing to the cylinders to spraying in WD-40. I just did what my previous experience and limited intellect allowed: I bought some winter fogging storage spray from my Bombardier Ski-Doo dealer and sprayed it in each cylinder using a McDonald's soda straw press-fitted into a clear plastic hose. Once I was sure I had it in the spark plug holes I just sprayed it in the hose and let it run down. Then D/C the DME relay and turned the engine over a few times. At least it makes me believe I did something useful. Hey, it works for my other air-cooled machine:
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2006, 05:28 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Well here is a quick update. I just got back from the shop and spoke with the shop manager. He was very apologetic and immediately asked me what all was wrong with the car and to show him. I brought him out and showed him the work that was not completed and he said, "I will get it in right now and have it done for you today". I told him about the heater hoses and how the tech said they crumbled in his hands and he said I will get new hoses for you and get them in as well. So...if they fix everything in short order, I am a much happier customer. One thing the manager did say was, "yeah, your car sat apart too long", meaning in their shop while getting worked on. I will let you know what happens when I pick up the car later!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Bombardier ..... Canadian eh ?

Good Work Jeremy .. looks like you may get some satisfaction ...
Old 10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Hmmm... sounds like a bad mech that the shop owner got saddled with. Or maybe the original mech. quit or got sick and another one tried to pcik up the job. Anyway, sounds like the owner is solid.

Good luck on the follow thru.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:17 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Well, quite the turn around. I went in there and calmly explained what had not been done correctly. The shop manager was very apologetic and immediately asked what he could do, what needed to be fixed, etc. He put brand new heater hoses in, two brand new airbox straps, somewhat fixed the shroud, (I think I just need to upgrade to the 11 blade), and gave it a minor detail including wash. I am now much happier. Driving it home felt much better as well. It did not appear to be running as rough as it has lately. Could this be because the airbox is sealed now rather than half open and loose? Heat is nice this time of year as well! Tomorrow I am picking up 101 Projects For Your Porsche (or whatever the title is ! I am also ordering a new smile! I can't wait! Thanks for all your support guys!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

It is not surprising after your recent experience your "smile" was gone. Glad things are looking up ..

Quick Reply: Wow...I think I got hosed...check it out, pics included.