Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bouncing Tach

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002 | 01:44 PM
MC
Track Day

Post Bouncing Tach

In my 80SC, the tach "bounces" when I shift gears. When I originally did the PPI, the guy who did it for me said it was no big deal and shouldn't worry about it. I'm just wondering whether it's fixable, still shouldn't worry about it, or should I replace it. Thanks
Old 01-28-2002 | 11:49 PM
JJM
AutoX

This can possibly be attributed to the alternator. I know for sure that an indication the alternator is bad is if the tach bounces when the brake is applied. This is caused by all the power being used (car running, a/c on, radio on, lights on, etc...) If you are reving the engine, i.e. applying power, and the alternator is weak the power flux can cause tach needle bounce. Just a possible source of the problem. Could be other things.
Old 02-03-2002 | 11:30 AM
MC
Track Day

The tach doesn't bounce when the brakes are applied. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-03-2002 | 10:31 PM
nate
Instructor

My 85 does the same thing when I come off of the gas. I asked the shop about it and they said it is most likely the throttle position sensor. I was told not to worry about it until it begins to impede performance or get really annoying. So far not too many people think I'm reving my engine at them while waiting for the light to turn green

Nate.
Old 02-04-2002 | 02:15 AM
Doug n Terri
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question - do you have after market ignition system parts? Do you have a good ground of tach components? If possible, get a good volt meter and get a good ground on the tach can. put the neg lead on the tach. Find a real good ground to the body. If any voltage shows up on the meter during the operation (there shouldnt be a bounce) - then the tach is not grounding properly and the meter is telling you how much it is failing. Just a thought. DOUG
Old 02-04-2002 | 06:53 PM
MC
Track Day

Thanks for the help. I don't know if I have after market ignition parts. I am going to take a look and try this weekend to check to see if there is a good ground.

Quick Reply: Bouncing Tach