Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

jerky starts

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 02:19 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question jerky starts

4 month owner, ('86 Carrera coupe ) and have noticed on my last few outings that the car starts in a "jerky" fashion, also exhibits this when the gas is applied at low "parking lot" speeds.

Occasional "clunking" at the same time.

Is this a clutch adjustment?, a U joint? other?

As always- inputs and advice appreciated.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:44 PM
Fassi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to have a similar problem. Disappears after accelerating a couple times or letting the car warm up a little first.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:00 AM
r22tek
Advanced

Sounds like 2 different issues. Jerky starts, meaning clutch "bucking" could definetely mean a clutch adjustment which you can do yourself with the help of Bentley's. Bucking while moving at very low speeds and the clutch fully engaged could be a fuel delivery problem. Does it have a smooth idle? The DME relay is a common cause of less than smooth fuel delivery problems, especially at low RPMs. I would change that out and keep the old one as a spare, apparently Carrera owners are bound to need it at some point. The relay is aroung $50 and can be replaced by yourself in about 5-10 minutes: it is located unedr the driver's seat next to the DME computer. This is what I suggest you do to start because it is cheap, easy, and you need to do it anyway so your effort is not wasted if it doesn't clear up your problem(s).
Old 01-06-2002, 07:02 AM
DJB
Instructor

It may be clutch and that can be fixed with clutch adjustment/replacement. I agree it sounds more like a cold idle problem. It may be the relay as suggested.

It may also be the mixture settings, the idle valve or possible the idle switch. Get yourself a copy of the Bentley guide, this has a very comprehensive section on diagnosis.

I has a few problems with stalling when cold on my 86 and it turned out to be the idle switch.

Quick Reply: jerky starts