Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alternator nut install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:39 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Alternator nut install question

I re-installed my Bosch Alternator in my 82 SC today and have a quick question about the bolt/nut orientation.

I had 1 lower bolt that fastened the Alternator to the Fan Housing and the other five bolts connected the plastic air guide to the Alternator then the housing.

This was the same way it was set up when I pulled the Alternator.

Is this correct?

Thank you.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:19 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

When you say "one lower bolt fastening alternator to fan housing," i assume you are actually referring to the 6mm bolt near the distributor that fastens the fan housing to the engine shroud. There should be that one and another two at the top of the shroud. While these are nice to have, the strap is what actually holds the fan housing in the correct position---I always start the housing to shroud bolts first, but I make sure that the housing is all the way in, and i hold it tightly in place and tighten the allen socket bolt on the strap. Then I tighten the fan housing to engine shroud bolts all the way, and make sure that the fan spins freely. Make sure the fan housing is in all the way, the lower edge should be slightly behind the crank pulley, not right on top of it!

Oh yeah, there are usually 6 nuts that hold the alternator to the housing, but only 3 of them hold the air guide as well.

Oh, and I hope this goes without saying, but disconnect the battery first!
---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 10-13-2006, 08:42 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Battery is disconnected.

Five of the bolts hold the air-guide to the housing on my set up which has me confused because some folks say it is three. Maybe it's different with the Bosch Alt or I have a different year air deflector (This is on the back of the alternator).

I will have to re-adjust the fan housing later today since I went to double check this morning and the lower lip is sitting on to of the crank pully

All four of the bolts around the shroud lined up fine (near the dist, on top of the coil bracket, Top Center and the right side near the fresh air house) so I guess I will pull it out again and try to re-align. Is there two more I am missing that attach to the fiberglass shroud?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Okay not sure if we are taking about te same thing and I appologize i we are not but here goes. On the older cars ( mine is a 78 . I have all 6 long bolts go through the alterator through the air guide ( gray plastic and metal ) and are held in place by 6 small nuts with washers. don't overtighten these or you can break the plastic air guide that the wires came through.
The later models had a different air guide so three of the bolts could hold the alternator together ( every other one ) and only 3 were used to hold the air guide on.
Once you get that done you can now put your Fan shroud assembly in place with the alternator in it and do the bolts to the plastic orange big cooling shroud, the srap , and put your pulley and belt on. .
Old 10-13-2006, 11:06 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Iceman,

My rear air-deflecter is probably similar to yours.

I will have a gap if I place three on top and three underneath the rear air shroud behind the Alternator. I tightened the six bolts so that they are snug to prevent the plastic from cracking like the taillight lense.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

EXACTLY .. check out the pics i posted on the other alternator thread. It is exactly like yours I am sure .. . The bolts go through all six holes. your PO or mech cheated as it can be a pain to do all six rotating the thing around. He used one to hold everything in place. Not a huge deal , but like you , I like to get things right..
Old 10-13-2006, 01:12 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On some newer alternators, the voltage regulators or attaching parts may be larger and you might have to use a Dremel Tool to cut away some of the air deflector to get it to fit. I replaced the alternator on my 88 Carrera recently and had a hard time getting the air deflector to fit. I had to drill out the pop rivets and cut and fit the air deflector to the back of the alternator until it did fit. If this happens to you, you'll need to get some really big pop rivets to put the delector back on. I hope you don't have this problems as it was a little time consuming, but worked out very well. Patience is the key. FYI, mine had 3 bolts holding the alternator and 3 holding the air deflector.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:17 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Iceman,

It looks like there is a notch on the air deflector for the lower bolt and it is a smooth factory looking cut-out so there is no way for the air deflector to fasten to the bottom bolt.

Iceman,
I do not have the black wire that crimps on the pack of the Alternator like yours or a connection.

The connection I have aren with a few brown wires joining one terminal circle fastener, red, bkue and a ground wire that attaches to one of the bolts shared with the coil base mounting bolt.

Spider911,
It should go back in since I am replacing it with the same Alternator and nothing has changed on the outside. Air defelctor mated up fine with the Alternator.

I will just have to pull it back out and try to slip it over the crank pully so the at bottom aligns correctly.

I am glad I looked before I started the car.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yours is a bit newer so might explain a few things , but looks like you are on the right track.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:33 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

It's alive

I pulled the housing out and double checks the nuts. The lower one was only finger tight, whew, glad I checked !

Pushed it back into the shroud and had to pry the lower part with a screwdiver just a hair before tightening down the strap nice and snug (not too tight) so it gave me plenty of clearance from the crank pulley .

The hardest part was getting the belt back on while holding the shims, pulley 1/2, "special" nut etc all at the same time and then my daughter sneaks up behind me and screams so everything flies off .

Round two and It's all buttoned up and took it for a drive at night. Everthing works fine so far....

Time for another Bier.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah isn't that a treat with the spacers and nut and pulley half.. I wrecked a couple of spacers the first time I did it .. sounds like you are on your way ...
Old 10-13-2006, 10:43 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Iceman,

Thank you for your support!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

after i did the alternator . I installed a voltmeter in my car to monitor for overcharging.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:35 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Iceman,

I attached a link that has a copy of the Techinical bullinton that shows the type of Air Deflecter I have in the back of my Alternator.

5 Bolts go through the plastic piece and the the bottom has a square cut out.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...rnator+bearing
Old 10-14-2006, 06:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks for the info, my car still has the original internal regulator so have not had to do this bulletin, but I guess it is a matter of time ..

As yours is an 82 I think it came with the newer internal regulator according to the article.

Last edited by theiceman; 10-14-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Alternator nut install question