Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

stone guard install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 PM
H2NO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stone guard install question

I just received a set of rear fender stone guards and I'm about to install them. I have heard horror stories about removal and since I'm a fickle sort of guy I want to be well prepared for their eventual removal when I change my mind in a year or two (my car is not a turbo). What preparation would make the stone guards easy to remove yet stay in place? Should I put a nice coat of wax beneath them? For instance, I know that wallpaper is easier to remove if the wall has been properly prepped prior to hanging - so the surface must make a difference.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I wouldn't wax beneath them, but certainly you don't want to add these if you have fresh paint!

I took a normal set of turbo ones and cut them back a bit for a normal Carrera or SC,--the Turbo ones are just a bit too overwhelming, I think.

I have a pattern for the revised size.

A good heat gun will aid in their removal.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 PM
H2NO
Instructor

Dan, these are made specifically for non-turbo carreras. It looks like I'm going to need to trim the bottom as they don't appear to sit flush when properly wrapped around the fender. By the way, do you suggest I remove the wax I applied two weeks ago?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Super_Dave_D
Advanced

Yes I would remove the wax (alcohol) and you probably will have to trim a little bit. Use some soapy water so you can position them properly. When they are where you want them, squeegee out the excess water solution. If your car has been repainted you may have the paint lift when (if) you remove them.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:31 PM
H2NO
Instructor

I actually installed them last night. All I did was clean the area. I left the wax on to protect the paint. I'd rather have the stone guards come loose than lose paint. Also, when I first received the guards I figured they would need trimming. They do not. The bottom edge is not parallel to the rocker panel, but I pried the rocker panel rubber up and placed the guard underneath. This is probably the right way to do it as it looks very clean. As for adhesion, at least in the first few hours the guards can be lifted off. I know, since I lifted each one about three times to smooth out bubbles I missed due to poor lighting in my garage.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:41 PM
craiglwakefield
Advanced

Be careful when ever using a heat gun to remove anything off your paint. I removed paint with the vinyl Porsche banner when removing it from my 914. If there is body putty under the paint the heat gun can remove the whole damn thing (how do I know?).
Old 10-14-2006, 12:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

at least you found the putty :-)

I have also heard a spray bottle with water and 10% isopropyl alcohol will allow you to position an then dry out.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ever happened to the guys who made magnetic guards? I had a set once and tehy were great.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:08 PM
EC83SC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Magnetic guards

I have a set of MagBra stone guards and it's really nice to be able to remove them when cleaning the car. I recommend!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

EC83SC.. sounds great, where do you park your car ?...

just kiddin'

Quick Reply: stone guard install question