Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bitten by the 911 Bug...What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:07 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Keep in mind that the 911 is just a hopped up VW Beetle,--and if you can find your way around a Beetle engine (which is simplicity to the max) then you're going to be fine around a 911. All they did was add a couple of cylinders, sort of.
I've never even driven a Beetle.

Although....a lot people say my 944 is just a VW.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:35 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The only people allowed to say that a 911 is a "hopped up" bug are 911 owners. Anybody who says a 944 is a VW is clueless, that's where my conversation with them usually ends. OK the 914 was very closely linked with the type 4 motor and the 924 shared many parts with Audi's 4000 range but who cares? they are what they are. I'd like to see a 75 vw square back go against a 2.0 914 in an auto-x............. duh. But I digress....

BTW - your AV is hilarious, I get it. CHiPs all the way, rock on!!

Brgds, Peter
Old 10-12-2006, 11:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I've never even driven a Beetle.

Although....a lot people say my 944 is just a VW.
Don't be so hard on yourself.... it's an Audi ...
Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

I always preferred to call it 'half a 928'........
Old 10-13-2006, 09:07 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Hey I didn't come here to get abused guys!!!!!

There are a bit of VW/Audi parts in the 944 though. The transmission is straight out Audi. There are some other miscellaneous stuff that is VW/Audi but I don't think anything else that major. Electrical components and stuff like that.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:16 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

ah c'mon were just joshin ya !
Old 10-13-2006, 10:46 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
ah c'mon were just joshin ya !
So am I. Takes a lot more than that.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:27 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Actually, maybe you guys can help me with another question.

Does the SC have adjustable rear spring plates or did that start in 84 with the Carrera?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:19 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Matt,

I did not mean to be offensive. Actually, that is exactly what the 944 block is, half a 928. Far from 1/2 the performance though.

The trailing arms or spring plates are not externally adjustable on SCs OR Carreras. In both cases you have to turn the torsion bars by removing the 4 bolts and unbolting the banana arms etc.... You CAN however buy them aftermarket and install on either.

Brgds, Peter
Old 10-13-2006, 12:27 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by butzip
Matt,

I did not mean to be offensive. Actually, that is exactly what the 944 block is, half a 928. Far from 1/2 the performance though.

The trailing arms or spring plates are not externally adjustable on SCs OR Carreras. In both cases you have to turn the torsion bars by removing the 4 bolts and unbolting the banana arms etc.... You CAN however buy them aftermarket and install on either.

Brgds, Peter
Seriously...I wasn't offended. I was only kidding around with the "don't give me a hard time comment". I was being sarcastic.

Back to business though....

On the 944 the spring plates have an eccentric that lets you adjust the spring plate up or down to give you about 3/4" play after reindexing the torsion bars.

I thought the Carerra definetly had this, but I wasn't sure about the SC. Am I wrong in both cases?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I have an SC and the spring plates are in fact adjustable, I thought is was standard on SCs but maybe someone knows better. This was to allow easy adjustment of ride height for bumper regulations in the US. it would allow to just build one car and adjust it for the required market. I think the problem is that there is not enough range in the spring plates to lower it to a desireable level so the torsion bars ahave to be reindexed.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
I have an SC and the spring plates are in fact adjustable, I thought is was standard on SCs but maybe someone knows better. This was to allow easy adjustment of ride height for bumper regulations in the US. it would allow to just build one car and adjust it for the required market. I think the problem is that there is not enough range in the spring plates to lower it to a desireable level so the torsion bars ahave to be reindexed.
Yes it's tought to get exactly on with the torsion bars, plus they usually settle after you set them. So you need to be able to fine tune it.

Maybe it was pre-78 year cars that didn't have the adjustment. I know there is a 911 series that doesn't have the adjustment. But if it's not the SC, then that's cool.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Matt,

Ryan laid out a really good comparison of the 2 cars. I have a 72 911 and an 83 944 (na), so a couple years older on both fronts. The comfort is the one thing you'll notice missing in the 911, but I promise you everything else will make up for it. My 944 to me is nimble, comfortable, fun, good on gas, good stereo, stuff like that. The 911 is less comfortable, a pig on gas (carbs running rich), but faster, more fun, WAY more raw, louder (in a good way) and just generally more enjoyable to drive. The 944 to me is a damn good compromise between a daily driver/grocery getter and a raw, powerful sports car. The 911 is much less compromising.

And yes, the 915 transmission is a piece of crap compared to the 944. The 944 shifts so much smoother, easier, faster, everything. I've always said the 915 is the weakest part of the 911 experience.

Judging from your sig, you've already got comfortable, fun daily drivers in the family. (well, the explorer maybe not so much fun! We've got an 04 and I hate it!) so I've only got one piece of advice for you:

doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit

Old 10-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Originally Posted by arbeitm
I know. I can feel it already taking over.

The one thing that will prevent it is $$$.

I'd have to sell my 944 first. Then convince my wife to let me use an additional $ 10,000 +/- to buy a 911 all while we are in the midst of having a baby and planning on buying a house.

I'm figuring SC's go for $ 8 - 10K

And an 84-85 Carrera for $ 12K - $ 15K
sounds like me. I got my car this week, and she threatend to leave because she thought i blew 10k on it(i just showed up with it). When I told her I got it for 4k she calmed down but i couldn't touch her for an hour. So I went for a drive. Good luck
Old 10-13-2006, 05:54 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bretech
sounds like me. I got my car this week, and she threatend to leave because she thought i blew 10k on it(i just showed up with it). When I told her I got it for 4k she calmed down but i couldn't touch her for an hour. So I went for a drive. Good luck
My wife (now ex for other reasons.. or so I tell myself) told me that if I could *find* the money I could buy a Ducati. A week later a guy contacted me, offered the bike for a stellar price, gave me trade value on my Honda and within 2 days he was delivering it to my house. She did not look pleased, and it only go worse after I reminded her that she'd *OK'd* it as long as I found a way to pay for it.

The Ducati outlasted the wife... (plus it was more fun to ride and gave me fewer headaches).

I feel for those that have to negotiate...

Quick Reply: Bitten by the 911 Bug...What do I do?