Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Source for bronze pedal bushings? 88 G-50

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:03 PM
btr4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Source for bronze pedal bushings? 88 G-50

I had the clutch pedal shaft shear in half and while replacing it thought it would make sense to chage the bushings over to bronze however, all the usual suspects only cover the 915 cars up to 86. Anyone know a source for bronze pedal bushings for the 87/88 cars with the G50 transmissions? Anyone bought the pre 87 kit to find out if any of the parts are interchanable? Seems nuts that Porsche would redesign the entire cluster.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:58 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

btr4me, there are no bronze bushings for the G-50 clutch mechanisms. The replacement ones are the same teflon looking ones that came out on the car initially. They are weird looking and are split in a spiral design, I guess to keep them from cracking. The are a couple of bushings that could have bronze put in as replacements ( I think the accelerator cable is one of them), but they are small and you would have to remove them and see if you could match them up. I spent two weeks calling to everyone I know about bronze bushings for my 88 Carrera and they don't exist. When I looked into the pedal area, I could see why. There's just not a whole lot of room in there. The bushings I removed after 17 years looked as good as the new ones I put in. In the parts I received, there were the two large teflon looking bushings, a roll pin for the shaft to hold the brake and clutch in-line, and those two small bushings i talked about earlier.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

btr: The wonderful thing about Porsche is that they are not nuts! Please remember, '87 > cars have a hydraulic clutch - no cable - and that's why the cluster received a redesign. That said, you really don't want to use bronze bushings anyway, get factory parts!
Pete
Old 10-09-2006, 06:39 PM
btr4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I guess I was confused, I was thinking the bronze bushings were smoother than the synthetic ones. Aside from the shaft breaking everything else looks fine.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the shaft break or was it the shear/roll pin?

Quick Reply: Source for bronze pedal bushings? 88 G-50