Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Replacing Fuel Pump and Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Chas
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Fuel Pump and Filter

so my '82 911SC has great power in the low end, but completely flatlines at 4k+...where before it would pull hard to redline, now it just feels like i'm at 25% throttle from 4k through redline. I have had numerous people tell me it's probably a failing fuel pump....which makes sense because the bugger whines like hell! It get's louder every day, especially once warmed up.

My Question is...how hard is it to replace the fuel pump (and I would assume filter "while i'm in there"). Any good sites with pictures for the procedure?

Thanks in advance!

-Chas
Old 10-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Fuel pump/filter are not hard to replace. Only bad part is the potential for messy fuel spills, as with any fuel system work. Be careful and have a fire extinguisher handy. Fuel pump is under the metal underbody panel right behind the fuel tank, between the front wheels. Remove the panel and you'll see how the fuel pump comes out, its held in by a hose clamp and has 2 electrical connectors under a rubber boot. It is a good idea to disconnect the battery before you do this! Pinch off the inlet fuel line coming from the fuel tank ( I have a special pair of Vise-grips that have no teeth in the jaws that are perfect for this) so fuel doesn't pour out everywhere when you remove the inlet hose from the pump. Some fuel will always come out, just be careful, and have a pan or something to catch it. I like to wear neoprene gloves and tie shop rags around my wrists when i work on fuel systems so that gas doesn't run down my arms. Besides the precuations you have to take, the pump is an easy job. It is probably a good idea to replace the rubber fuel hoses to and from the tank, and use new hose clamps that are made for fuel hoses, not the ones for radiator hoses! Parts stores should have these.

The filter is easy as well, it is the silver cylinder shape object on the left (driver's side) wall of the engine compartment, towards the rear. I would do this (and the pump) after the car has been sitting overnight since there will not be as much residual fuel pressure in the lines and less fuel will come out. Line the space underneath the filter w/ rags to catch any fuel. You wil need 2 open-ended wrenches, one of em to counter-hold on both the inlet and the outlet connections, might take some force to break em loose and access is a bit tight, but it is pretty easy and held in by a hose clamp like the pump. Make sure you tighten the line connections enough. Hopefully this helped and your problem will be solved!

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA

Quick Reply: Replacing Fuel Pump and Filter