Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Locks

While I have my panels off I might as well address the door lock situation.. one one side the key wont go in all the way, the other side the key goes in but wont turn..

How hard is it to remove the door handles and subsequnt locks? Anyone ever re-key their locks? Should I just buy new locks?
Old 10-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

These things are quite simple to take apart and to fix. Don't bother to rekey the locks (as they will affect the glovebox, too, etc.) but merely take it apart and note the order things came out.

A sure sign of a underused right side door! You need to keep up on the preventative maintenance in Florida!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Dan..will work on that prevent maint. stuf as soon as I get the crap outta the way the last guy didnt do!!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

You could add electric locks and not worry about the key issue.
I would probably take the locks apart and make them work with the key that you have though. It should be a straight-forward process once they are out of the car, at least it was on an early 70's VW bug that I had many years ago. One of the entire doors ahd been replaced, thus the lock was different on one side.
clean it aout and make the key go in all the way, then file off any of the tunmlers that stick out past the lock body. No need to open it up completely to loose the springs, etc. The down-side to this approach is that now the lock will work with the original key and the one you use.
+++
Old 10-05-2006, 12:11 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try spraying lubricant in the key way. It may need some lube to allow the key to slide in. Worked for me.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

I'll give that a shot.. other than that it's coming out.. gotta have doors that lock! oh and unlock too! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Door Locks