Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Make door panels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make door panels?

Recently took off my door panels to lube slow power windows (and the lube helped alot!).. looking at the back side of the door panels however.. horrid.. even had mold.. obviously had been wet.. there was also no plastic sheeting there at all.. anyway.. my leather is actually decent.. but the "carboard"(?) is shot to hell.. what is that stuff actually made out of? Can you get some at the hardware store? Would have to be simple to just cut out.. replacements are apparently 79.00 a pair (carboard only).. the pockets are also warped/trashed..a wee bit more expensive at 244.00 ea???
Old 10-02-2006, 04:01 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Rob,

I haven't actually tried this yet, so take it as a mere suggestion. I've been considering recreating early RS panels and thus, pondered the same question. That very night, I was watching an episode of 'American Hot Rod'. Boyd Coddington outsources all his interior work to a small family run business that turns out the most amazing work you've ever seen. They use luan as the backing for 99% of their interior panels. Luan is a very thin hardwood 'plywood' if you will. Obviously, it's hard and thin.... just right for door panels. It's also easy to cut and staple to and should offer better longevity than the cardboard.

BTW - Home Depot sells a 4'x8' sheet of luan for about $12 :-)

Brgds, Peter
Old 10-02-2006, 04:10 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The cardboard is subject to water damage and warpage. I'd think you could trace the shape out and find a waterproof replacement. The trick is to find something you can staple the leather (or vinyl) to.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:40 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

get the bare panels from appbiz.com -- their shipping bag is 4 mil plastic - cut it to use as a new water barrier; I don't know what is the best glue, but avoid silicone seal as the next guy that paints your car will hate you.

You can put any material you want on the appbiz panels which are very very nice - he bonds mylar and foam onto the panel (which is made from a new material designed just for door panels) and then foam is used on the interior side if he does the vinyl/leather

I was looking into using Alcantara to face the panels but could never get my hands on a sample.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:19 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I built a set of RS panels for my car a few years ago. Not to difficult, I just picked up some new doorpanel board, foam backing, and vinyl from the upholstry shop. Spent about $50 and two hours and they look great!

I used an adhesive called MIAMI contact cement. I search online real quick but could't find it. It's an aerosol glue, but it is moistiure proof and very, very sticky when it sets up.

When I was finished I took them back down the to shop and they stapled them for me free of charge.

Just cut the holes for the lock, and a slit to run some red webbing out of for the door pulls, and you are all set.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Make door panels?