Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Winshield seal help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 03:04 AM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Winshield seal help please

After a driver's ed event last weekend at Pocono, I was cleaning the car (1987 Carrera coupe) and noticed that the windshield rubber no longer covered the upper corners of the metal. The edge of the rubber now sits in the track. I have already made the appointment to have the windshield reinstalled but my curiosity is getting the better of me. Does the rubber shrink over time? I know that the car was painted two or three years ago. Maybe the reinstall at the body shop was not perfect and the force of 110+ mph caused this? I would like to think that I was going so fast that the wind pushed the roof back 5mm, but that clearly did not happen. Any thoughts?
Old 09-24-2006, 12:25 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned a lot when I installed my front shield.

The glass somewhat floats in the frame and is meant to be kicked out from inside in a crash event if necessary. If not neurotically installed it will eventually fall lower than it should imo.

I did 3 removals of the shield till it was Sitting on dum dum and spaced side to side with the dum dum properly. I pulled on the installed glass to see how much slack it had every time.

Try Stoddard for the shield rubber instead of aftermarket. Install rubber with tape on glass and lay the whole thing on the ground. Fit the moldings in so you can straighten any bends that has happened when shield was removed. Double wrap the rope. Use plenty of soap to allow the rubber to set in the frame. I used grease but not the best idea i think? Three guys makes the install easier. as sometimes they have to press on the shield a lot to get it in.

Don't drive car for at least 24hrs after install. The longer the better.

If a shop is doing the job find one recommended by a good 911 wrench or ask a P dealer. Get a guarantee that the moldings will not be installed bent. Ask also for a guarantee that it won't sag. A cheapie install will cost you more in the long run.. good luck.

Quick Reply: Winshield seal help please