Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What event set the hook for your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 PM
sww914
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsches are like *****, I always like looking at them, and I've always wanted them.
A long string of VW's primed me.
The Yellowbird article in 88 finished me off.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Saw them on and off when living in Germany in the mid-1960s. It finally hit me the day a buddy showed up in my driveway with his new 1973 Zambezi Green 914. A year later that was my car. 2-1/2 years later I sold it for what I bought it for and ordered a new 911S while living in Germany. Drove that one for 6-1/2 years and traded it in for a 1981 SC that had 270hp (mit Turbolader). And now driving my new '06 997S cabriolet,--recently delivered to me after 23 days with it in Europe. (That's the real place these cars were meant to be driven).

Porsches are a sickness, an addiction. You should never drive one,--ever, or you will become addicted and will wind up spending more on that car and toys for it than any heroin addict ever spends!
Old 09-24-2006, 05:04 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eharrison
I've mentioned this before but I've wanted a 911 since I graduated from college but kids and houses always took precedent. My wife even bought the hardback Porsche books at Christmas and always with a witty comment written in. Then December 27 2005 I was diagnosed with cancer and had the joy of a 15% chance of survival. Two days later with my Dad in the hospital room (the witness) I told my wife that if I get though this I'm buying a Porsche. 7 months later we bought a 99 c2. I didn't know that I would be as f-ed up as I was after the chemo but I own it baby and it's in the family forever. By the way, I followed my wife while she was driving it to the paint shop on monday and caught her racing a rice rocket on the highway... They lost me in an instant.. Is that the hottest thing or what?
That's a great story and I wish you the best of luck with the cancer. I hope it doesn't take you away from your Porsche!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 06:25 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

In 1985 I was 15 (1 year before getting my driver permit) waiting for my father to finish negotiating on an Audi 5000. I was checking out cars in the showroom and there was this black 911 coupe. I sat in it for at least an hour. It was the coolest car I had ever been in. I loved how "spartan" the interior was. I absolutely loved the instrument cluster. Then there was the timeless, sexy body... I swore I would own one some day. This past February, 20 years later at the age of 35, I bought my first 911 - a black on black 1985 Carrera coupe.

I just returned today from a long weekend in the NC mountains with my girlfriend. The roads are wonderfully curvy (girlfriend too!). I had a blast dicing up a string of Alfa Spyders near Lake Lure (yeah, I know, that isn't even fair of me but they were going too slow). A good time was had by all.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:00 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

One car - 917K. In 1971-72 I was enthralled with the shear speed and technology that went into these cars. I always had to have a Porsche, now I have one of the slowest (but most reliable) – 1967 912.

Quick Reply: What event set the hook for your first Porsche?