Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking to purchase a 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:22 PM
300cd300sdl911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Again........thanks

Just want to share my appreciation for all those that provided honest advise. I see today someone else whose a first time Porsche buyer popped onto the site. You guys must be very tired of us first time buyers........but I do appreciate your time and advise. Many of you have mentioned to read as much as possible. Can anyone recommend the best books to read, I'm sure there are many but some must be better than others.

As for the mention of the "Porsche disease" I'm a member of a Mercedes site and see many of the same first time buyer questions there also - we have great patience there also. I currently drive one of my two diesels ('83 CD or '87 SDL) to work everyday. I guess I'm just looking for a ride than can get from 0 to 60 mph in less than 2 days...........

thanks again
Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 PM
CDILL
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 11 Posts

As far as taking your car to the dealer I am not sure that is a bad thing. Since I have owned my car I have had it at a couple local independent shops for some minor repairs and have had nothing but bad luck as far as the repairs that were performed and the service that I received. I feel I have gotten better service than I have ever received on any other car I have ever owned going to the dealer when ever I take my car in for service at my local dealer they have my car back to me in a timely fashion and so far the prices seem to actually be more reasonable than going to an independent. (especially since my car is an 83 with a 3.6 conversion) So I guess what I am saying is if you have a dealer in your area especially one that has been in business awhile it may be a good place to source service work especially if the mechanics have been in that store for a long time. (the techs at my dealership actually remember when cars like mine/ours were new and are actually excited to work on them) just my .02 since
Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Regarding this whole thing about Dealer verses Independant:

You really have to research where the good techs are. Some very good, long term technicians can be found at dealerships. Sometimes you will only find the good tech in your area at an independent shop. Do your homework. Ask questions, view the shop, interview the service advisor/tech at the dealership, talk with the owner of the independant shop. If they are a good shop, they will gladly answer your questions and show you their operation. Good shops know they get customers for life if they do good work.

I've read about, heard about and experienced many horror stories from both dealerships and independant shops in my area and here on the web. Poor service can happen anywhere and is not limited to one or the other.

Buying a Porsche is one thing, but another part, and a big part, of the equation is finding the correct technician to work on it.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 09-22-2006, 01:14 PM
dsher
Intermediate

I have an excellent example of a 89 911 cabriolet 68k miles red black purchased in spring 06 PPI excellent no issues leak down and compression test good no issues short shifter,stone guard, upgrade sterio, sport seats, new tires polished fuchs, joy to drive and have owned, a recurrent illness forces me to sell happy to send info and pics if you wish David Sherman dsher123@msn.com or 262 512 4162 in Milwaukee WI
Old 09-22-2006, 01:35 PM
mostserene1
Instructor

OR, for a leetle more cash, you could get a lightweight water cooled 996 (175 MPH fast enough). See my ad in 996 forum.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase a 911