Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heat/Defrost levers info. and pic needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat/Defrost levers info. and pic needed

Weird request..underneath the heat/defrost levers there is some kind of electrical switch thingy which I am guessing lets the heat/defrost lamp know to turn on..anyone have a pic of this switch and how it is mounted? Mine is missing/broken so I have no idea which way it supposed to go -how it's mounted. what colors are the wires that are supposed to go to this switch? what colors are the wires that go to the heat/defrost lamp there on the floor?

Also when replacing the now pink levers with shiney new red ones, any trick getting the old ones off? do they just slide right off? Do ya' glue the new ones on or do they snap into place?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche Newbie

... when replacing the now pink levers with shiny new red ones, any trick getting the old ones off? do they just slide right off? Do ya' glue the new ones on or do they snap into place?

They should be slid right off (toward the front of the car when they are not pulled up). With age, the plastic may have shrunk them. Suggest something like a tuning fork (if you can picture one of those) placed on the handle and then gently tap on it to bring the little pink ones off.

Do not use glue when reinstalling. There is sufficient friction in the design to retain them in place.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

where did you get the new ones ? I have sAid faded orange ones !!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The "electrical switch thingy" is not a switch. It is just an illuminated plastic indicator to help locate the heater controls in the dark. It has a graphic on it to indicate the "ON" and "OFF" position of the levers. It has a small light bulb in it. Sounds like your missing both the bulb and cover.

Good Luck
Andrew
Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

They're available from the dealer, Ice. If you replace them, in order to maintain conformity in the vehicle, it's mandatory to replace the pointer needles in each guage, and the tach face with the wide "red line," as well... Just kidding.

Rob: To remove the handle ***** use an adjustable wrench - open its jaws just far enough to slip over the flat arm that the **** fits onto, push the wrench against the **** and tap firmly with a mallet. That square thingy on the floor is simply a bulb that turns on and off with the park/running lights - I guess that Porsche thought some kind of illumination would be cool. Is your base & bulb still there?
Pete
Old 09-18-2006, 08:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hi Pete .. there is never an end to this stuff... :-)
Old 09-18-2006, 08:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Default Here is the pic

Believe it or not I can't remember if the light is on when I put the lights on on the car or if it only comes on with the heating ... guess I am not looking down there at the time ..
Old 09-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Yeah guys I have the indicator shown in the pic (although I had to buy a new cover for it) but underneath the actual heat/defrost levers there is some sort of switch apparently that when the levers are no longer contacting the switch the light comes on in this pictured heat/defrost indicator..I need to see a pic of that..also what color the wires are that go to it..I see some yellow wires under my carpet around there..unsure right athe moment what those are for..

Pete thanks for the removal tip on those nice "pink" levers lol..oh and by the way, was looking to buy your updated book but amazon doesnt have it and neither does barnes and nobles.com.. what the heck?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I think those switches turn on the blower motor in th engine compartment, does yours come on when you lift the levers ? should be easy to tell as it will do it with the ignition on and you should hear it.. lifting either lever should start the blower and it used primarily to deliver heat while idling, the engine fan is more than good enough at driving speed I find. Some cars have this removed however so that would be agood start , to see if you have the blower...

Last edited by theiceman; 09-19-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:25 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I just found a hi res shot I took of the area while I had my interior out, If you PM me with your email address I can send it to you , you MAY be able to zoom in and see what you are looking for if I send it un-shrunk.
It is basically a contact microswitch that has the yellow wires going to it. to turn on the blowers. The piece you are looking for may be P/n 911 613 525 00, this is the heating contact, bu you may need more.At least this is as start and you can give our dealer the numbr and look at the PET.

Last edited by theiceman; 09-19-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Rob: That's really weird about Amazon (B&N doesn't surprise me) - give the publisher (RPM Auto Books) a call - (888) 237-4359. Sorry about that, I'll follow up with the pub...
Pete
Old 09-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Ice: sounds right.. I've PM'd ya.. Pete, figgered you might wanna know! I'll ring up the publisher..

Also if I am understanding you correctly, the heat/defrost indicator lights up when the parking/driving lights are on, not just when the heat/defrost levers are engaged?

Last edited by Porsche Newbie; 09-19-2006 at 12:43 PM. Reason: add another question..
Old 09-19-2006, 12:34 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

The PO of my car boiled the plastic lever pieces with red clothing dye and then used white paint to fill in the lettering wiping off the excess.

Came out real nice for a $1.50 investment.

Here is a link

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ht=heater+****
Old 09-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Wow he did a great job (link pics).. I doubt I'm that talented.. gonna just order from Pelican..maybe my Pop's will be so brave to experiment with his lovely pink ones.. lmao.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

regarding the lights on the defrost ... comes on with the lights, not the levers, the switch is for the blower.I think it is

Blue wire -- light bulb
yellow wire -- blower

Quick Reply: Heat/Defrost levers info. and pic needed