Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 G50 Driving Impressions & "heaviness" of 3.2's

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:51 PM
jim3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On your next test drive, gently ease it up to 4000 rpm's in 2nd gear entering a deserted highway or leaving a toll booth and NAIL IT all the way to the redline and snap it into third and get back on it. Then please report back.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:08 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Marvin:

Don't worry. '80s 911 are fast. ... Well, I should say, they're not slow. I also have a 2000 Dinan M Roadster which is generally considered to be pretty fast and my '88 Carrera compares well with it. I feel like the M is more linear because it makes more torque down low. With the Porsche, I hit the pedal, watch the tach spin to its upper regions and hang on, making sure I don't bury the needle in the red. It makes all of its power up high in the rev band and when it is there it goes pretty good, amist a raucousness and fury coming from the rear.

I think you definitely have to drive one harder than you have been to see what all the fuss is about. So far as the heaviness is concerned, you will want to get the car over 30 or 40 mph and then go through some turns. You should find the cars lithe to the point of nervousness, not ponderous, as you describe, which is trademark 911.

Henry
2000 Dinan BMW M Roadster
1999 Mercedes ML430
1988 911 Carrera (Steve Wong Chip, Fabspeed Euro Premuffler, M&K exhaust, Bilstein Sports, Fuch 7&8s)
Old 09-21-2006, 12:17 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Another important point to remember is that the G-50 3.2 cars are now close
to 20 years old. Compared to other peformance cars of their time they were
pretty impressive. Engine technology has advanced quite a bit since then.
The 3.2 cars are now what I would consider a "Classic 911" and though
they are faster than a fair amount of today's cars it's not fair to compare
them to today's cars. And yes, I miss my 1985 Carrera dearly
Old 09-21-2006, 12:33 AM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually find I can compare my 86' to most of todays cars, and win! I'm not talking just speed but the complete picture of a great car. I have no idea what the stats are for all new cars but a 3.2 still runs 0-60 in high 5's low 6's. Which means crap cause the car is not a straight line racer. I constantly am reminded when I drive the P-car that it is merely a thinly disguised race car. I don't know where you guys are hitting 6K rpm. I would pee my pants if not on a track. 4-5K and the thing is flying and I'm way over the limit. For 20K or maybe 25-30K for a total cream puff 911, I'm not sure where dollars could be better spent.

That said, my wife semi hates my car. Too noisy, bumpy, and no cup holders. While I hear engine music, great road feedback, and well... it is hard to shift with hot coffee in my hand.

To me it's amazing these cars still represent themselves so well considering the 20 year age.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:02 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 86NOH2O
I actually find I can compare my 86' to most of todays cars, and win! I'm not talking just speed but the complete picture of a great car. I have no idea what the stats are for all new cars but a 3.2 still runs 0-60 in high 5's low 6's. Which means crap cause the car is not a straight line racer. I constantly am reminded when I drive the P-car that it is merely a thinly disguised race car. I don't know where you guys are hitting 6K rpm. I would pee my pants if not on a track. 4-5K and the thing is flying and I'm way over the limit. For 20K or maybe 25-30K for a total cream puff 911, I'm not sure where dollars could be better spent.

That said, my wife semi hates my car. Too noisy, bumpy, and no cup holders. While I hear engine music, great road feedback, and well... it is hard to shift with hot coffee in my hand.

To me it's amazing these cars still represent themselves so well considering the 20 year age.
Agreed. But they are getting old. Their values are holding steady and in some
cases climbing. They have reached collector status! But you are right, when
you examine the whole package (design, performance, history, tradition)
nothing else comes close!

Check this out and solve your cup holder problem http://www.inventivaconcepts.com/air-1.html
Old 09-21-2006, 09:48 AM
joey c
Pro

i used to be concerned with 0-60 times and so forth and now i love the time its takes to hit 60..i dont know if its 5.5 or 6.0 or more but the sound and feel of the car is incredible..there are faster cars,and i have driven most of them,but the overall "feel"of a 3.2 is special..recently i drove a 02 m3..fast as hell,but not a 911.if you are looking for a straight line burner,a non turbo 911 of just about any year is not for you...BUT,if you want to drive on some country roads.....well i cant think of a better car(for under 20k)maybe 40k....j
Old 09-21-2006, 12:40 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not overly disappointed with my car's acceleration, (200 hp with 2500 lb car), but am adding a turbo to see if it makes it that much more fun. Many tell me that I will just take it off again. Time will tell.

Last edited by LaughaC; 09-24-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:07 AM
umfan866
Racer

Update--

Two nights ago I drove a 78 SC with SSI headers on it and A/C delete, rear seat delete
and MAN what a difference. The thing sounded like a 60's mustang or harley and you friggin'
stomp on the gas and have instant power. So what I have learned in the process is, every
car is different. This car while a little rough around the edges was a lot more fun than the
more stock clean 3.2 carrera...except the 915 tranny was a PITA to shift into first and 2nd
at least on this car it didn't pop back out of either of those gears. I want this car, and I will
be doing a separate post on it...but had to update my original thread...
Old 09-24-2006, 03:28 AM
sww914
Instructor

If you buy an older or middle aged 911 and maintain it, it won't depreciate, and a stock street car will survive a lot of track days, more than you'd think, and IMO a lot more than a stock BMW.
Porsche designed these cars to be bought on Friday, raced on Saturday and Sunday, and make it to work on Monday. If you want to experience a 911, get it out in the twistys and wring it's neck!
You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:48 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I think everyone else already said it, but when I test drove a few 911s, I had the same impression. The PO of the one I ended up buying helped me a lot when he told me to get on it and not shift so soon. As we were driving, he kept encouraging me to rev it up more.

As others said, they aren't necessarily fast of the line, but coming on a twisty freeway entrance ramp at speed, then pushing her on up to cruising speed is awesome. There's one particular entrance ramp that I enjoy that's a pretty tight semi-banked loop that opens up on a long straight merge lane to the freeway... can't wait to get another one!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:10 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb Porsche with torque

If you want a Porsche with big low-end power, you may want to test drive a 928. I love my 911 and am willing to trade my 928 just for more 911 parts, but you may want to try some Porsche V8 power before making your decision.

The plan was to drive the heavy 928 in city traffic (for safety), but this didn't work out for me.

My 928 is listed for sale or trade on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260034844718
Old 09-24-2006, 12:05 PM
RoninLB
Pro

If I lived in Calif I'd find a pre smog law 911 that someone has spent a fortune on setting up with a 3.2/3.4 with carbs, cam, exhaust. It may take 6mo to a yr finding it but I think it would be best bang for the buck. A shop rebuilt engine with PMOs can go for $15-20K alone.

G-50 is street user friendly imo. That said a trick 915+ is nothing like the worn 915s we run into on the street imo.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:57 PM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I should add my impressions to this thread.

I have a 200k kilometers Euro 78 SC with 87 engine fitted. The car is light, but also has a (working) A/C as well as heated electric seats from 87 car too.

Car is a coupe without sunroof, has no cat and is considered to be 231 bhp. It also has the 915 box. All I can say is that it is similar to the performance of a 964 or 993 (again Euro specs) It doesn't feel slow even compared to my 996 C4S. These cars are slower on US ECUs and exhausts. They also need a propper tappets adjustment too. Believe me if you can install a Euro exhaust and make a rechip, it can fly. Trust me, I know, as I raced an 88 911 3,2 with cats the other day. Our difference was about 5 car lengths up to 120 mph. Thats a lot...

Also regarding the 915, it can be quite nice and reasonably fast when its warm. Surely the G50 is better, but you get a nice feeling from a well rebuilt and adjusted 915. I used to hate this box before the rebuild. Now I find it nice and "characterful"... if I don't abuse it

A well shorted 911 3,2 can be a fast car even compared to todays standards. Who said about Hondas ??? Bring me a Subaru ;-)
Old 09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Originally Posted by 86NOH2O
I actually find I can compare my 86' to most of todays cars, and win! ... I constantly am reminded when I drive the P-car that it is merely a thinly disguised race car. I don't know where you guys are hitting 6K rpm.
Geeze, one of the best days I ever had was in a rented Boxster somewhere between mile 14 and mile 20 (Carmel Valley Road) where there was this wiggly piece of road of maybe 5 or 6 switchbacks that you can basically see the full distance of turns, on coming traffic, etc. I went back and forth on that stretch for probably an hour! Sometimes I did it in 3rd, other times I wound it up loud in 2nd through there. I can assure you I was hitting 6,000 rpm.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
gerry100
Pro

These old 911's don't go fast for you, they go fast with you.

They really don't do anything for you, no power steering etc, but will tell you what it takes to go fast.

Rev the engine, max out the braking ,learn to sense the balance and grip and to feel the throttle steering effects and you can corner with any of the big bucks automotons out there.

It doesn't give it to you, you've got to work for it- that's why some of use have relationships with these things.

Quick Reply: 3.2 G50 Driving Impressions & "heaviness" of 3.2's