Converting to single battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 07:17 PM
MPLS73Targa
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Converting to single battery

Hello -
I had my '73 Targa converted to a single battery system last year and now a friend of mine is considering doing the same to his '72 coupe. How difficult is this to DIY, and can anyone tell me the procedure?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2003, 09:03 PM
lateapex911
Intermediate

I did it to mine so long ago I can't remember! It is THE way to go. Just get the Optima or equivilent spiral cell type battery, which can be mounted in any orientation. I did mine myself, and fabbed a couple parts to hold it in using the stock attachment points. Have your friend look at yours and just duplicate the parts. He'll need the battery and a cable and other than the hold down stuff, thats it.

The benifits are: No more leaking batteries! Better weight distribution, and even though it's only one battery, you'll get better cold cranking power (850, I think). And all up, it's probably cheaper! A win win win for sure!

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2003, 01:37 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
It's real easy. On my 73E coupe,

(1) I disconnected the negative and postive battery terminals for both batteries and removed the two old wet-cell batteries that were in the car when I bought it.
(2) I cleaned the battery compartments real well.
(3) I then removed the driver's side positive battery terminal from the two heavy cables that ran into it.
(4) I pulled out the heavy battery cable that ran from the driver's side to the passenger's side.
(5) I took the connector off the cable that I just removed, and put it on the driver's side battery cable (remember I removed the terminal in step (3)). This is because the orignal terminal is larger to accept two heavy battery cables. With only one, it's too big. Thus, I used the one from the recently removed passenger side.
(6) I installed a sealed battery in the battery box on the driver's side. My choice was a Stinger. It fits right in place (laying on it's side) and can even make use of the battery hold down strap.
(7) I reconnected the postive terminal, followed by the negative terminal.

That's it!
Old 02-12-2003, 03:14 PM
thrown_hammer
Intermediate

What about a dry cell battery in the smugglers box? Anyone ever do that? It would move the weight more to the center of the car and be invisible.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:58 PM
David Porter
Track Day

A good article at <a href="http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/" target="_blank">http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/</a>
under "Technical Articles".

Quick Reply: Converting to single battery