Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Head Light upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:55 PM
FXK142
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Light upgrade

I have a 1979 911SC, I have the older style H1 headlights. I want to upgrade to the euro/nicer look lights with the thinner trim ring. Where is the best place to get these and what is the best setup for this?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

You actually have the US-spec sealed-beam headlights, not H1. The H4s that you want to get are an updated version of the Euro-spec h1. I was just checking this for a customer today, so it's fresh in my mind. Performance Products has Bosch H4 units that install really easily for $150 each, and the bulbs are about $15 each. You can choose between chrome headlight rings or ones that are primered and ready to paint and match your car. These are pretty easy to put in, just make sure you aim them properly, I'd recommend finding a shop that has a headlight aimer; although I have gotten headlight aim pretty close using a garage door/wall before . . .

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 09-09-2006, 08:57 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above . . .

The H4 upgrade has been discussed at length here & on Pelican. Do a search on 'headlight upgrade'. Very easy DIY. In it's simplest form, only a new socket is required & they fit right in. But, you should put in relays (search Sucros) to relieve the load on your turn signal stalk - a weak area on 911s. And if you plan to go with brighter bulbs, new wiring to the buckets is also a good plan.

For aiming, go the danielsternlighting. He has step-by-step instructions. Daniel also sells everything you need to upgrade - although the H4s are available from numerous sources.

Ian
Old 09-11-2006, 10:17 AM
FXK142
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the Amber Lenses that you can get for these lights? I like the look of the amber lenses, are these an easy switch over?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:18 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bosch H-4 is different that Cibie or Hella H-4.

I use E-code instead of DOT.

Get high temp bulb receptaples & relays if going to more watts.

Dan Stern lighting is great source of info and sales.

Quick Reply: Head Light upgrade