Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC trailer hitch - for a track trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002 | 03:32 PM
Bryan Moore
Advanced

Post 911SC trailer hitch - for a track trailer

I'm considering putting together a trailer to carry track tires, tools, jack, etc. when I go to DE's. The track trailer is the easy part - the trailer hitch is more difficult. So far, I've only seen one SC with a trailer hitch and didn't particularly care for the aesthetics of the design. Has anyone out there come up with an "elegant" solution to this problem (I mean other than buying a Suburban and a car trailer)?
Old 03-25-2002 | 04:58 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try these guys, a couple of 911 owners on the Pelican Board seem to like their solution to trailer hitches. <a href="http://www.southsporttrailers.com/hitch.html" target="_blank">http://www.southsporttrailers.com/hitch.html</a>
Old 03-25-2002 | 05:00 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic of a Boxster with one of their hitches:
<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/boxsterpullingtrailer.jpg" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/boxsterpullingtrailer.jpg</a>
Old 03-26-2002 | 10:21 AM
Bryan Moore
Advanced

Unfortunately, SouthSport won't sell the hitches unless you buy their expensive ($1000+), but admittedly very nice, trailer.
Old 03-29-2002 | 12:56 PM
John Brandt
Advanced

When I went to buy one the guy swore up and down that they only work on SCs and not Carreras. didn't make any sense but he said he had specific knowledge.

do any of you know if this is actually the case?
Old 03-29-2002 | 02:12 PM
Bryan Moore
Advanced

I just spoke to someone at SouthSport and they said that, in spite of what the website indicates, the hitches for the '79-'83 911s are "on hold". They also re-stated that they will not sell the hitch without the trailer.

I'm looking into the feasibility of putting together a "stealth" hitch as follows. Cut a square hole in the bumper behind the license plate and insert one of the small (1 1/4") hitch receivers. Since the bumper is attached to the compression struts with just a few small bolts, it cannot be used to carry any significant load. The compression struts, however, are quite substantial (at least for a 300 lb trailer). Some sort of well-thought-out structure would have to be fabricated inside the bumper to transfer the load from the hitch receiver to the compression struts. A hinged license plate frame would flip up when you needed to insert the ballmount for towing. When the hitch is not in use, the receiver would be hidden by the license plate. I ran the concept by a friend who is a professional fabricator and his response was "Sure, no problem. The street rod guys do the same thing all the time." In still need to do some measuring and planning to make sure there room, strength, etc. but, in another month or so, I hope to pull the bumper (along with the compression struts) and take it to him while I'm doing my Carrera chain tensioner upgrade.
Old 03-30-2002 | 01:16 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

One alternative:

One of the advantages to a rack is that you're not limited to a slower speed limit.

Quick Reply: 911SC trailer hitch - for a track trailer