Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alpine Alarm that sinking feeling

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006 | 07:13 PM
Oldtee
Pro

Default Alpine Alarm that sinking feeling

The family just acquired a 87 911 Carrera that happens to have a Alpine 8046 alarm system. Of course, there is no manual nor schematic. I cannot find anything through a search here and Google. Any ideas? I would like to remove it and its rats nest wiring.

Would if I can find one.
ARF
Old 09-02-2006 | 10:45 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Oh the joys of 80s-era aftermarket alarm systems. I have ripped out a pretty good amount of these things, and unfortunately there's not necessarily a "schematic" for them, this was up to whovever installed it. And I have hardly ever seen a well-installed aftermarket alarm; to the contrary I have seen some pretty laughable Mickey Mouse wiring jobs. The alarm probably has a control unit hidden somewhere, check under the dash, under the front trunk carpet, in the passenger footwell behing floorboard, etc. The wiring will no doubt look non-factory and obvious, just trace that and you should find the components.

One of the more annoying aspects of ripping one of these things out is if the alarm includes an immobilizer device to prevent the car from starting if it is broken into. These are generally spliced into the wire that runs to the starter from the ignition switch. You may have to spend some uncomfortable time lying on your back under the dash trying to trace this wire. Once you find the 2 ends of the original wire you can cut the section out that runs to the alarm control unit and you can solder in a short length of the correct gauge wire to reconnect the 2 halves.

This job can be a pain, wish i could give you more specific advice, but try and find a buddy who is good w/ electrical stuff if you are having trouble. Hope this helps!

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 09-02-2006 | 10:59 PM
Oldtee
Pro

Thanks, I found the control unit and a knot the size of Sonny Listons fist of wires scabed into the wiring harness plus some other wires. Also a couple of relays, and a blown 10 AMP fuse hidden elsewhere. These things have a habit of leaving you beside the road just to be mean. I just want to make sure it does not disable the car. I'll check for a wire to the starter.
ARF
Old 09-02-2006 | 11:35 PM
randomhick35
Instructor

oh man, aren't those alarm systems fun? i found one in my recently acquired 66 911 of unknown vintage, and clearly inebreated installation. The last guy who owned this must have gotten a really good deal on purple wire and didn't want it to go to waste, and to that end added: 2 under steering wheel LED's of unknown purpose, 1 under-dash switch [partly disconnected] 1 under-dash button, wired into the alarm system i believe. but the best part of this guys wiring was a seemingly random mess of wires all leading into a big plastic plug. hmmm. looks familiar. turns out it was a trailer brake light and turn signal plug, but the plug was in the front of the car, with very short wires [wont make out of the boot] and was also the wrong side for a car!! [correct side for a trailer] guess i really dont have anything to add to your siuation....
hope nothing this bad on your car
Old 09-03-2006 | 09:14 AM
MDL
Racer

My 88 had a python alarm in it when I bought the car. Did not even know it had an alarm. I disconnected the battery to do some work on the car and when I reconnected the power all hell broke loose and scarred the hell out of me. I also did the Google search thing without much luck. Then, for some reason the car would not start. That was the end of the line for the alarm. I found the wiring at the horn and just followed to all the other components in the system and removed them.

Dan.

Quick Reply: Alpine Alarm that sinking feeling