Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question for the 911 Board-Steering Wheel Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question for the 911 Board-Steering Wheel Lock

Did a search on Rennlist and got a little bit of info but wanted to go ahead and post. Last November I replaced my ignition lock assembly (ignition lock cylinder and steering shear bolt) because out of nowhere my steering wheel locked up as I was driving. I was simply making a right hand turn from one road onto another when the wheel locked into the right turn position. I slammed on the brakes and as the car came to a stop the wheel became unlocked.

Well just this past Saturday it happened again. Same type of situation. After almost a year thought I had rendered the problem but now it once again has scared the crap out of me. The only info I can offer up is that earlier when I had gone to start the car the ignition cylinder itself seemed a little stiffer to turn than when I had ever started it previously. I've also heard some talk on replacing the upper steering wheel bushing (or something to that effect).

What I do know is that it is not a suspension issue at all. Appreciate any thoughts.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually had mine lock up as well..I had exited the paved road at about 10-15mph or less to stop and take pics off the side of some foothills..I staye din car with engine running while G/F got out to take pics.., gets back in car and just started to get back on the road when I noticed the steering was locked. It wasnt locked as tight as it normally is when the lock engages but it was not turning much. Had it towed. Repair shop indicated normally worn bearing, you know, the one that allows your steering wheel to move up and down/side to side, was not only not worn, it was MISSING altogther!!

I havent had any issue since but even though I wasnt actually at speed or in any traffic it scared the hell outta me! Certainly still in the back of my mind.. never did get any other explanations as to how or why besides that bearing missing so.. hopefully that was the problem.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:29 PM
art
Pro

I've had my key lock out from start even though it was the first attempt a few times. It might be wise to disable the lock if possible for both reasons. Anybody know if it is easy to remove the various lock functions?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

The lock is part of the switch and I dont think it can be cut off or removed at all..
Old 08-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

First, I want to offer that I've never seen, nor heard of, an ignition lock fitted with a key that was able to lock a steering system. The very design of the part (removal of the key is what engages the lock) would seem to make the condition impossible. Now, a locking switch for our beloved cars is made up of a cylinder that holds an electrical piece and a lock tumbler. The cylinder is cast with an arm that extends a few inches, at a right angle to the cylinder, and contains the steering lock (think of a dead bolt). When the key is removed from the switch it releases the dead bolt, which then engages the column. The ignition switch assembly mounts securely at the tumbler, and at the end of the arm. The system should be fail-safe.
Pete

Quick Reply: Question for the 911 Board-Steering Wheel Lock