Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First Porsche purchase advice/opinion sought

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Just Dave
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordering the book today and I will always take records over a CarFax, but I like to ensure I look at every angle. I looked at a car yesterday to start easing into this and I was amazing at what they were promoting as a very clean car. Even I am a newbie to 911's but I could tell it was a heap. But it was good to look and see what can go wrong from the obvious first look over. Nothing will replace a PPI for me though.

Thanks,
Davd
Old 09-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Just Dave
Track Day

One last thing regarding CarFax, I didn't realize it didn't go back as far as I may need it to, so thanks for pointing that out. I appreciate it.

I left the professional automotive world for the world of high tech more than ten years ago, so while I can still swing a wrench, I think I am lagging behind on current auto trends and such. This CarFax thing is a good example.

- Dave
Old 11-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Just Dave
Track Day

A belated big thanks to everyone who chimed in on this post back in August. I stopped posting and began reading and lurking, here and on Pelikan's forums and realized I forgot to express my gratitude to the people who took their time to respond to me regarding my inquiries.

I dove in too fast into the 911 world have have since backed up to look around at Porsches in general. In a nutshell, I am at a crossroads as to what I should purchase. I have always loved the shape of a 928 as well as the V8 power it provides. I considered a 914 for a bit until I realized that while it handles like a go kart, I would desire a bit more power. I have also been considering some flavor of 944.

At this time I am saving my nickels, selling off two cars and my street bike to fund my Porsche but what Porsche model I end up with is still a mystery, even to me. Taking to heart the advice of many to buy one in the best shape I can afford has even led me down the 912 path a fair distance as I can afford a reasonably nice 912 much easier than I can swing a early 80's 911. Time will tell. For now I shall endeavor to drive some of each model, see more of them in person, and when the right car and I meet, I'll buy it. Then I will start posting in the appropriate forum.

Specific thanks to Paul Kennington for mailing me the Gold Plated Porsche book (I thought I was receiving a magazine article or something thin and light, imagine my surprise to find a total stranger had gratiously snail mailed me a hardback book at no cost to me whatsoever! ) it was funny and I enjoyed reading it greatly. I will get it back to you as soon as my friend and current Porsche owner is done with it.

Also to Dave Anderson for his comprehensive email back to me regarding a particular 928 and other information as well. The email alone helped me understand just how much of a rookie I am at this sort of thing and spurred me to even further reading.

I could thank others in great detail as well but the Rennlist officials are indicating my time is up so thank you again to all the Rennlisters who have been patient with me.

- Just Dave
Old 11-01-2006, 07:48 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

Cool

take your time....it's hard enough to find the right car once you've figured out which direction you're going in.

911 vs 928.....big difference in driving style, purpose, everything........ personally i'd like one of each
Old 11-01-2006, 10:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

This is no flame at all to the 928 guys but I have heard they can be costly to repair ( i am not sure if it is unreliable or it takes a long time to fix ) I would imagine the latter because there is a LOT jammed in their. If you do your own work it may not be an issue. . This you may want to out into your equation also. I think a couple of guys here have 928s too and can comment. the 3.0 litre is truely bullet proof and find it way easier to work on than my 944S was.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will agree that the 928 is a complex machine (lots of electronics) that probably can cost a boat load of money to fix. However, after having driven a few of these, they are the ultimate GT car. That buttery smooth V8 with a manual trans is a treat... Torque, torque, torque! I bet planting a 928 on the autobahn at 130 mph for awhile is pure bliss.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:20 PM
powpowj
Advanced

Dave I too have ben considering a 911 The different generations I was wanting too leave a post on whats best, but you beat me too it. I have a 89 928 s4 and it's a screamer. The local club I belong too will bend over backwards too help you. They have these 928s down to a science. The secert of 928 ownership is not to be on your own
Old 11-01-2006, 11:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I have to agree with the above statement for just about any car . We alwys hear "A shop wants to charge "x" to replace my alternator", after a couple of posts the guy ( or girl ) is usually ripping it out themselves for a rebuild at minimal cost.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:15 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Dave
One last thing, what is this I hear about SC models having oil drips/leaks? This is normal and acceptable on some level?

Will someone please elaborate?

Thanks,
Dave
That's a pretty subjective question. It all depends on their severity and
perceived source.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 PM
rtoler
8th Gear

Where can somoeone get a redesigned airbox that was mentioned above? What is the normal cost? I am thinking about buying a '77 911 Targa that has a blown air box. The car has been sitting for 5 years because the current owner does not have much mechanical ability, nor does he want to spend any more money on the car.
Thanks,
RWT
Old 06-29-2007, 03:02 PM
crufone
AutoX

Dave,
Where are you located? I have a 1977 911s that I am getting ready to sell. It is a coupe with no sunroof, Oak Green with tan interior. 83K miles on original engine, no upgrades yet, runs fine. I am considering doing the standard upgrades before putting the car on the market.....................but would negoiate that with perspective buyer. I will be asking $11.5K. I have about $1.5K worth of new spares and accessories that come with the car. My car is in Indianapolis, IN
Michael
Old 06-29-2007, 08:07 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by imcarthur
And welcome to both of you. This forum & Pelicanparts will answer any question you might ever have.
Ian
WARNING!!

Mr. McArthur will jump ALL OVER your sorry **** if you post here and on Pelican at the same time!

Ask me how I know

Quick Reply: First Porsche purchase advice/opinion sought