Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ignition woes...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003 | 08:43 PM
lateapex911
Intermediate

Question Ignition woes...

I'd like to introduce myself. I am a long time Porsche fan and owner, and an SCCA Improved Touring driver. My car, a '73 from Germany was imported in '74. I bought it in '92 from its 3rd(?) owner. Rust reared its head, so I restored the body, then moved to California, where I drove it for two years as my daily driver. It blew it's motor, then I moved to CT, and finally put a new (2.7 in RS type trim) motor in. But with my racing and buying a house, it's languished in the garage with only the occasional track day. I tried to start it this fall, but had no luck.

I just got in from troubleshooting, and here is the problem as near as I can tell. Cranks but won't even cough. No spark. I get no spark when I test any plug wire. I have replaced the plugs, the cap, the rotor, and the wires are fresh. I metered out all the related wiring going from and to the distributer the coil and the CDS unit and all had continuity. The CDS unit sings like a bird when the ignition is on, and I confirmed voltage at the proper contact there. I also checked ground continuity at all locations. I tested (2)coils, and according to the manual, they do not meet specs. The specs say the Hi tension end should be about 700 ohms where I have 8.50K ohms. The low end is closer, at .8 ohms relative to the desired .7 ohms.

So....any ideas from these clues? I would like to beleive it's the coil (it's cheap!), but I'd be surprised when it's just sat in a largely heated garage for two years.

If component replacement is the solution, then this might be the time to upgrade. Suggestions? Optical? MSD? Crane?

(I've also gone through the fuel system)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 02-11-2003 | 09:40 PM
Porschephanatic
Advanced

Sounds like your coil secondary is "open". Cheap fix. New coil.

Quick Reply: Ignition woes...