Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil pressure gauge needle jumping around

Old 08-19-2006, 03:06 PM
borowiec
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge needle jumping around

On my 75 911S the needle on the oil pressure gauge jumps around rapidly and erratically at rpm over 3500-4000. It hovers around 60 psi but is constantly dipping down to 20, then jumping up to 80, and os on, it does not stay steady until I drop the engine speed down under 3000 rpm. At rpms under 3000, it does not jump around, it stays at a constant reading depending on engine speed, as before this problem began.

It's Saturday so I can't contact my mechanic and I am trying to determine whether I can take to car to autocross tomorrow of if I risk damaging the engine by doing so. If this is just an electrical problem, then I won't worry about it and get it looked at next week.

Any advice would be most welcome!
Old 08-19-2006, 05:31 PM
borowiec
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default never mind - problem solved!

The car is now running fine. I cleaned and tightened the electrical connections at the gauge and the oil pressure sensor and then, because the car seemed to be running rough, almost as if it wasn't firing on all six cylinders, I made sure all the spark plug wires were secure and, for good measure, I replaced the rotor and distributor cap. Problem solved, pressure gauge now behaves normally.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure gauge needle jumping around