Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

REAR SPOILER FALLING APART

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 PM
James Orloff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REAR SPOILER FALLING APART

The rear spoiler lip of my '84 Targa is separating at the joint between the rubber lip and the fiberglass main section. The metal innards are rusting away. I plan to remove the spoiler for repair at the end of the driving season but wonder if someone can provide a few tips on the repair procedure so that I can ponder them for a while.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

IIRC, once you remove the tail from the decklid, taking it apart is straight forward. Be sure to purchase new mounting hardware along with your new rubber lip.
Assuming your tail is factory, you can decide if you want the standard Carrera lip or the Turbo style.
Either one should fit.
Please take a few pics as you disassemble the thing, as I am missing a few internal pieces that I would like to identify and replace.
Good luck.
+++
Old 08-16-2006, 09:56 AM
James Orloff
Intermediate

Ouch! New lip? Not what I was hoping to hear. I was hoping that there would be some inner pieces that rusted away and could simply be replaced. Oh well, time to check the prices on new lips. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I suspect the lip may need to be replaced only because the mounting hardware (which is metal) is 'sandwiched' in the rubber part. If it has begun to rust/decay, then it will probably spin intead of loosening when you try to take it apart.
Hopefully I am wrong, well mis-informed, but not actually wrong. I hate being wrong.
+++
Old 08-16-2006, 05:22 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rubber lip has the mounting hardware studs preinstalled, so that you would put the studs through the corresponding holes in the fiberglass main section, and then fasten with nuts and washers. If the studs themselves are rusting and breaking, I'm pretty sure you could remove the rubber lip, Dremel out the old studs, and attach new ones. Then you could attach it once again to your fiberglass piece with new nuts and washers. You would have to make sure, however, that the studs are firmly in the rubber lip, maybe using some industrial cement in there.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:09 AM
James Orloff
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses! I'll post again later in the season to describe my solution or to complain about the price of a new lip(for the car).

Quick Reply: REAR SPOILER FALLING APART