911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hunting for idle Grrrrrrrrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 02:54 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Have you tried getting the mixture adjusted??? You said it was checked, but did you ask the wrench to actually adjust it?
Old 08-21-2007 | 03:06 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Originally Posted by scottb
Have you tried getting the mixture adjusted??? You said it was checked, but did you ask the wrench to actually adjust it?
We didn't as it was thought the chip controled the richness.
Old 08-21-2007 | 08:57 PM
matt777
Drifting

I would check the system voltage. If the alternator/regulator aren't functioning properly it can cause problems. It's an easy check anyway.
Old 08-22-2007 | 01:38 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
We didn't as it was thought the chip controled the richness.
Um, I think it's time to get a new mechanic.

The mixture can be adjusted (see the 6th post in this thread from Peter Zimmerman, who likely has forgotten more about the 911 than any of us will ever have known in the first place), and your mechanic should know this. Find a qualified mechanic who knows your car's engine, and ask him to check and adjust your mixture. My strong hunch is that your problem will be solved.
Old 08-22-2007 | 10:16 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Um, I think it's time to get a new mechanic.

The mixture can be adjusted (see the 6th post in this thread from Peter Zimmerman, who likely has forgotten more about the 911 than any of us will ever have known in the first place), and your mechanic should know this. Find a qualified mechanic who knows your car's engine, and ask him to check and adjust your mixture. My strong hunch is that your problem will be solved.
Easy there.
I have a lot of respect for this guy and it's more of a favor helping me than anything else.
Old 08-22-2007 | 02:43 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Easy there.
I have a lot of respect for this guy and it's more of a favor helping me than anything else.
You may have a lot of respect for him, but he's not doing you any favors if he doesn't know what he's doing. Obviously he doesn't know these cars because he didn't know that adjusting the mixture is a relatively simple process accomplished with an allen wrench. As I said before, get your car to someone who knows what he's doing and have him check the mixture and adjust it as necessary.
Old 09-11-2007 | 05:44 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Update.
As I was about to do a few tests on sensors etc., the problem has gone away.
Pretty hard testing a circut when it's running fine.
I'm sure I'll be back to Grrrrrrrrr at some point though.
Rod
BTW Even if it was doing it I don't feel adjusting the richness is the way to go.
As this is intermittent, leaning it out would make it to lean when the problem isn't happening.
Band-aid solution.
Old 09-11-2007 | 07:28 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Has the weather changed is your area? Hotter/colder? More/less moisture in the air? All of those variables will impact mixture. Do you have a sense of the conditions under which the problem manifests itself?
Old 09-12-2007 | 03:33 AM
Nashville84Cab
Cruisin'

I experienced the same hunting issues:

As Peter Z and others have stated... it sounds like your AFR needs to be adjusted properly. And scottb is correct in that the outside temp will impact the mixture. In my case, the colder it was outside the harder it hunted. I had a shop adjust the AFM to the correct CO specs and no more embarrassing hunting idle.

Also since you might have a performance chip, make sure the brown wire going to the DME is unplugged. This wire is only used to help pass Cali emissions, but is known to cause a hunting idle with performance chips. Check out Steve Wong's website (911 Chips) for pics and information on the brown wire. BTW I think you can get a stock chip from him for about $35... not exactly sure on price.

Good luck and post your progress. In case these suggestions don't solve your issue, trying searching on Pelican's forum as this seems to be common problem that is posted there frequently.
Old 09-12-2007 | 12:13 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Has the weather changed is your area? Hotter/colder? More/less moisture in the air? All of those variables will impact mixture. Do you have a sense of the conditions under which the problem manifests itself?
Humidity and heat did effect it before, albeit intermitantly.
It ran fine in the cold morning but hunted in the heat/humidity of the day.
Now it runs fine under all conditions.

Originally Posted by Nashville84Cab
I experienced the same hunting issues:

As Peter Z and others have stated... it sounds like your AFR needs to be adjusted properly. And scottb is correct in that the outside temp will impact the mixture. In my case, the colder it was outside the harder it hunted. I had a shop adjust the AFM to the correct CO specs and no more embarrassing hunting idle.

Making the adjustment maybe if it did this all of the time, but I don't want to lean it out when it's fine sometimes.

Also since you might have a performance chip, make sure the brown wire going to the DME is unplugged. This wire is only used to help pass Cali emissions, but is known to cause a hunting idle with performance chips. Check out Steve Wong's website (911 Chips) for pics and information on the brown wire. BTW I think you can get a stock chip from him for about $35... not exactly sure on price.

Brown wire? On the harness?
I have an aftermarket chip, and have thought about humidity effecting it.
I also have a factory chip and DME that I will try.

Good luck and post your progress. In case these suggestions don't solve your issue, trying searching on Pelican's forum as this seems to be common problem that is posted there frequently.
At the end of day all of these potential solutions mean squat if the problem is happening at the time of the testing.

If this was a woman she'd be long gone
Old 09-12-2007 | 03:34 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

If this was a woman she'd be long gone
Running fine in cool weather and having idle problems in warm/humid weather is a classic symptom of a mixture problem. As the weather heats up and gets humid, there is less oxygen and more moisture per cubic foot of air. If your mixture is just on the edge of being OK in cool weather, it doesn't surprise me that when it gets hot and humid you had problems. Even though your problem seems fixed for the moment, there's no harm in getting your mixture checked and adjusted. If done properly, the correct air/fuel ratio will be set and should prevent a recurrence of the problem.

On another note, I'm sort of dumbfounded at your steadfast refusal to do something as simple as getting your mixture checked and adjusted. Rather than start testing and replacing sensors, vacuum lines, etc., a mixture check and adjustment is a simple process. Don't beat your head against the wall needlessly....eliminate the easy fixes (like mixture) first, and then do the more complicated ones.
Old 09-12-2007 | 03:44 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

On another note, I'm sort of dumbfounded at your steadfast refusal to do something as simple as getting your mixture checked and adjusted. Rather than start testing and replacing sensors, vacuum lines, etc., a mixture check and adjustment is a simple process. Don't beat your head against the wall needlessly....eliminate the easy fixes (like mixture) first, and then do the more complicated ones.
I did have it checked and it was fine. Sorry if I missed mentioning it.
But it was not acting up at the time.
Steadfast refusal maybe, this is a mechanical adjustment and will change the ratio all of time whether the air is heavy or not.
This has to be a electronic problem ...... I think.

Quick Reply: Hunting for idle Grrrrrrrrrrr