Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ring debris found in crankcase...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 09:50 PM
frank82SC
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ring debris found in crankcase...

I recently found ring debris in my sump screen during an oil change. All of you guys probably saw my auction on ebay. I really didn't want to sell my car (1982 911SC Euro). I had some time today to do a compression test and take off and disconnect some of the top parts/connections.

I would like to compare notes as I troubleshoot and repair this engine. My last engine was a 350 chevy, trw, edelbrock, holley beast....about 20 years ago. It turned 10's.

The compression was higher than I expected in most of my cylinders #1 180lbs/in, #4 180lbs/in, #5 189lbs/in, and #6 180. Bad cylinders are #2 73lbs/in, and #3 82lbs/in. I didn't wet the compression test...why waste time.

My question is....do you think the high compression is due to worn rings and oil seepage or is this normal for a 1982 911SC? My engine # doesn't match the rest of car. I have a Euro car, maybe they replaced the engine in one of this cars previous lifetimes with a Euro engine...? I haven't checked that out yet. Or maybe high compression pistons/cylinders...more to follow.
Old 03-24-2002, 04:47 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Frank:

I'm sure sorry to hear of your misfortune here. Your situation in not uncommon at all, I'm afraid.

This is not unusual in these engines, especially the Euro ones with more compression than the USA versions. Add several thousand miles worth of carbon buildup and you have an engine that needs a steady diet of 94.

What you are seeing is the result of broken rings, and I'll wager damaged ring lands, caused by detonation. This is usually the result of using a fuel of insufficient octane.

Its damned near impossible to detect detonation in these air-cooled engines due to the noise level, and when you actually hear anything its quite severe at that point. In most cases, the damage is already done. The majority of SC's came with cast pistons that cannot take this abuse for long.

IMHO, your leakdown figures would bear this out and I'm afraid you are looking at purchasing a new set of P/C's. These are only available in complete sets, as you already know.

Quick Reply: Ring debris found in crankcase...