Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clutch pedal high

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
nyturbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal high

on my soon to purchase 88 930 turbo slant nose (69 K miles)......It is high and shifts at 6-7 inches off floor.During PPI I was told it is minor adjustment of clutch pedal .....is this true..shift gears has no rubbing or grinding and feels fine.... should i first adjust arc of clutch pedal and see if improves?

Last edited by nyturbo; 08-10-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like the clutch cable is adjusted too tight---loosening it a bit should make the clutch engage closer to the floor like it should. On 911s/930s you adjust the cable under the car, any decent manual should show how to do it, plus I'm sure Pelican Parts or somebody has an online tutorial so I won't get into it here . . . .

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 08-11-2006, 01:18 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clutch adjustment is not as simple as setting the free play and pedal stop anymore. Actually it's quite opposite. There are adjustments with feeler gauges to the small arm at the gearbox and making sure the clutch cable ends up on the taught end. This is not an easy DIY item any more. I am not saying you cannot do this yourself but please read and follow the manual closely. The clutch in the 911's from 1988 and earlier should release (car movement or take off) should be at approximately 1-2" (Inches) from the floor. We do not mainly seek for the proper free play any more. We only use it as a feel to see if the clutch seems normal. At 69K miles your possible purchase may need a clutch now or in the near future. This car may even be due for a new cable.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:24 AM
gbailey911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this will apply to the Turbo as my only experience is with my 1987 normally aspired 911. From 1987 on, the 911 clutch was upgraded to a hydralically operated clutch which has no cable to adjust and basically no adjustments what-so-ever except for the annual bleeding and changing of the clutch/brake fluid (both from the same brake reservoir). When the clutch is new, the pedal engages the tranny very close to the floor and as the clutch wears, the engagement point moves away from the floor. On my car, the engagement point is getting close to the top so I am in the process of acquiring all of the parts to drop my engine and replace the clutch.

I hope this applies to the Turbo and is of some help!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:15 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can adjust the height of the pedal on 87-89 Carrera's. when I changed the plastic bushings on my pedal cluster (totally different from earlier cars with brass bushings) I found that the adjustment is very touchy, in that, if not adjusted properly, the pedal will hang up and not return all the way to the top. There is a concentric bolt and a couple of small plates that act as a fulcrum. I had to continually put my left foot under the pedal and raise it while driving. There is a long rod connecting the clutch pedal to the slave. If the 88 turbo is like my 88 Carrera, it is hydraulically operated. I suggest you pull the floor board and get an idea of what you can do to lower it a little. I played with the adjustment on mine until I got it just right (lowered the pedal a little and don't have to pull the pedal back up).
Old 08-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

'88 Turbo still has the 930 4 spd and cable clutch. Only '89 930s got the G50/hydraulic combo. I wonder though, nyturbo, if the shop claims your problem is a simple clutch adjustment, why didn't they just adjust it for you then?

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal high