Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

VIN #s and engine #s and color

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 11:29 AM
not enough 47
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post VIN #s and engine #s and color

Well I'm getting pretty close to purchasing this 88' Cabroliet. Lots of buyers remorse setting in.
Contacted a mechanic do a PPI on Monday. Could not get the local dealer to do, so they reccomended someone who has the time. I was wondering about the proper color for the serial number, how can I check that?
Speaking to the owner, he's only driven the vehicle roughley 1000 miles a year for the last 8. No major repairs short of new tires and battery replacement. He did say that the high beam switch flicks to high when it feels like it. Should the clutch be a problem at 80k? I asked the mechanic to do a leak down, he said they don't usally do that if the compression checks O.K..
Old 03-23-2002, 03:14 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I would have a bit of concern about he low annnual miles as the cars do much better if driven frequently but those issues should be minor.

For the PPI, Compresion test is good but leak down tells a better story. Remeber, it's your money and the wrench can do it. I would do it for the peace of mind as it is not that expensive.

As far as checking to color. Does the car have the plate with the paint code? If I am not mistaken, only the factory issues these and it is unlikely that someone manufactured a fake. Why do you think the color has been changed? If you are suspicious, put the car in a lift an look in some difficult to reach spots where the guy who resprayed can't easily reach. If you look closely, you can usually find a bit of the orginal paint.

Quick Reply: VIN #s and engine #s and color