Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1974 Sportomatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:07 AM
georgesanos
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 Sportomatic

Are there any Sportomatic owners out there who can give me some general advice on transmission attention?

I bought a 1974 911S about 9months ago. I absoultely love the car but the gear box is becoming very temperemental. Sticking in gears, grinding, slow take on the clutch etc etc.
The points have been checked and are ok.
I've spoken to several mechanics and the sporto is notorious for these types of problems.

Any advice welcome and much appreciated.

George S.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:50 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in addition to whatever folks here know, owners at this site might help...
http://www.sportomatic.org/
Old 08-04-2006, 07:10 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

George - you say the points are OK and I assume therefore you know how to check them out, clean and adjust. They seldom need adjusting but do need an annual clean of the contact points with something abrasive to clean off any film contamination that can build up.

The pick up is adjustable via a screw head set on the left hand side (looking into the engine bay)between the back two induction tubes and should be covered by a clear plastic cover. Any adjustment here needs to be carefully done - no more than 1/4 turn at a time either way will either soften the pick up (clockwise) or make it more positive (counterclockwise).

There is also adjustment on the control valve but to do this some of the CIS equipment has to be removed to do it. This checks the gap between the control valve plunger and the throttle linkage cam - the cam bush can disintegrate over time which can cause some odd things to happen.

PJC
Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In addition to pjc's comments, which are very good, I've seen pilot shaft bearings disintigrate and cause your problem. I've also seen oil contamination on the clutch cause the problem. George, you're kind of in a tough spot, even when the Sportos were fresh in mechanics minds very few people enjoyed working on them. As time has passed, and mechanics have retired, there aren't many people left who understand the Sporto, or are willing to take the time to read the manual and do the necessary adjustments/repairs/diagnosis. If you're positive that the microswitch is working properly, and the cup bushing at the base of the shift lever is OK, move into the engine compartment and check the throttle lever bushings on the linkage near cylinder #3 intake. Go from there...
Pete
Old 08-06-2006, 01:41 AM
georgesanos
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that

Quick Reply: 1974 Sportomatic