Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Got new wheels and I am dissapointed..

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ice,
Have you noticed an increase in ride harshness going from 16" wheels to the shorter 17" sidewalls.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Peter Bull
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Peter,
Isn't upspring weight very important on any car?
This is the reason for the move to alloys.
We have all seen tests were cars with larger brakes actually stopped slower.
It's all about moving mass.
No?
Rod,

sorry for the late answer, but I had to gather my thoughts a little.

I am not claiming that it is of no importance. Unsprung mass affects the handling, but it is not very important. It may give you a tenth or so when the rest of the car is finely tuned.

When you go from light 16" wheels to heavier 17" wheels you will be able to use wider tires with lower profile. The extra tire width will give you better lateral grip. So you can go faster through corners. The lower profile will shorten the response time of the car. Meaning that when you turn the wheel the car will react a little quicker. When the car reacts quicker you will get a better sense of control and actually dare to drive faster, which has been race proven. You will gain more from the lower wider tires than you loose from the added weight.

I think it is mostly a question of getting most bang for the buck. You can buy expensive lightweight wheels, but if the car is not finely tuned, you will gain more by using those extra money on tuning the rest of the suspension.

When you say go to alloys, do you mean from pressed steel wheels to alloys? I thought the reason to move from pressed steel to alloys was that the alloys are straighter and stiffer. And with a few exeptions they look much better.

/Peter
Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your recent pic

Ice,

Just a friendly subjective opinion, but I liked the look of your BBS better. The alloys don't look "period correct". I personally like the look of the Fuchs wheels. Plus you know they will fit.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

James I do agree, My plan was to keep the BBS wheels as they look much more period correct and the gold honeycomb and the polished aluminum ring look good on the brown car with Chrome. I new this when I bought them but planned on using the "new wheels" for just driving as they would have tucked under better ... not so. The new wheels certainly update the car however. As for ride hashness I did not notice any apreciable difference going from 16 to 17" wheels. I do not have to many pot holes where I live and drive but so far no real differenece. Someone gave me a neat idea I am going to investigate. My rear BBS wheels are great (7" rim with 20mm offset ) and tuck in great under the fender lip.So no problem. The only problem was the fronts ( same wheel ) that just caught the front fender lip and chews the tires . So if I am okay on the inside I am going to a MAG shop to see if it is safe to mill off 5mm on the mounting surface to increase my offset. If that works along with diaing in a little more negative camber I think I will be fine. The existing set up I will keep for now. To be fair for what they charge here in Canada for tires , I practically got the rims for free anyway, or I at least payed for the rims and got the tires for free so I am not too upset. Also I have backed off on my driving, but If I do chew up another front, off they come. I would love to get some fuches and go back to original but I am just out of cash flow right now and I am already trying to figure out where i am going to store 4 wheels.

All the best

ice
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Oh one additional note to further Peters point as I can speaf from first hand experience . I went from a 16" 245 rear tire , Bridgestone 730s, to a 17" 255 tire Bridgestone 050As. The wheels overall are 11lbs heavier each side , but the turn in is noiceably improved and the car turns much " flater" . I feel like I could go a lot faster around the turns if I wanted to , and the car definitely feels moe confident, don't know if it is the wider tire, less sidewall , or tire type, but it is what it is .. PS I don't actually take the corners any faster as 1. it is dangerous on public roads, 2. I don't have sport seats and it would be nice to not fight to keep your body in the seat , and 3. I don't have a 5 point harness for the same reason..although the 5 point would LOOK cool ... people would think my car is fast :-)
Old 08-10-2006, 10:16 AM
jaydubya
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you rolled your front fender lips yet?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

HI Jay

No I have not rolled my front fender lips at all, it is a personal preference, and I do not want to do this. I wanted a solution without this and thought the new wheels would not touch.

Quick Reply: Got new wheels and I am dissapointed..