Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Whale-tail-ectomy

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:28 PM
jsrieck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whale-tail-ectomy

I've been looking at SC's and Carreras. Lots of them have the spoilers but I like the cleaner lines of no spoiler coupes. How big of a job is it to take them off (either salvage the original engine cover or get a new one). Do you think it would hurt resale much to have a non-original engine door?

JTSR
Old 07-25-2006, 05:32 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the tail has aerodynamic benefits, I hear you about the clean look of no tail. Depending on the type of tail the car has, it should be easily removed. Then just have a shop fill in the mounting holes and you are good to go. OR swap someone who's looking for a tail. Then have a shop paint to match.

I'm not sure there is a resale effect on the non-original lid.

The typical Turbo/Whale and Tea tray spoilers are bolted to a regualr decklid.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

If you go this roue this should be a no cost thing for you at the very least. I am sure someone will want to buy your old tail so you can cover the cost of a repaint on deck lid.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Real
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To tail or not....

My car had no tail and I did want one. What I did was simply search around for a decklid with tail at a reasonable price and kept the old also. Had the new painted and can always go back to the other look if desired via four bolts. Seemed to be easier than filling holes and hoping for a perfectly clean fill and paint. Worked out well for me....just a little food for thought.

Best of luck to you.
Real
Old 07-26-2006, 12:08 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

there are always people who do/don't want tails. If its a turbo tail, it will have extra holes that need to be welded up, best bet is to buy another lid, then sell your lid/spoiler and you will more than likely end up ahead of the game $$$ wise. tails range from $500-$1000 depending on condition of the rubber lip, while deck lids can be found from $50- $300

IMO I would leave it in place, as they do work at adding down force, and If your car was originaly equppied with it, it could bring its resale down.

Funny thing, the previous owner of my Carrera had it removed as it hurt his gas mileage.................. screwey huh? It is now back in place of course

Quick Reply: Whale-tail-ectomy