Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC or Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Dennis in SE PA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a G-50 for just a little more than an earlier model. Having owned a '78 Targa, I went "OOOOH!" when I first drove an '87 with a G-50. I choose a late '80s 911 as my Porsche of choice two times now. You make your own choice. If your budget is stuck in the "teens" an earlier SC is certainly a good choice. Either way you will love the car IF you get it checked out ahead of time. I say that having bought 3 911's with no PPIs. I drove them for an hour before I made a decision.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:34 PM
DARISC
Racer

lighter, more tossable, more sound, more fun
Jay Laifman makes my point regarding one's personal choice of an older Porsche. I've owned 8 sports cars over the years, this being my first Porsche and they were all daily drivers.

I've never driven a '73 911 but would have bought an earlier car such as his, for all the above reasons, but had to bear in mind my ineptitude with a wrench and the greater care and repair an older, lighter car would likely demand.

My advice to Jereck is to clarify in his own mind what is of paramount importance to him personally. Some want a collectible, others want the newest their budget will allow, some want creature comforts and new technology whizbangedness and others want the "best buy" in terms of future resale.

My target in sports cars has always been "smiles per mile". "I'll never sell this car!" has been my mantra after the purchase of every one of the last 7 sports cars I owned (and betrayed and sold). I miss them all (except for the 99 Corvette 6spd hardtop - oh well, at least I had my muscle car experience).

Deciding I was going to "try an air cooled 911" (after years of looking upon Porsches with disdain), I sought out one that would give me the kind of pure sports car experience I remember having with my first - my bright red, mighty 48 horsepower Bugeyed Sprite!

Needless to say, my SC captures all that and so much more.

There being very few pure light weight sports cars made today, my choice was narrowed to a Lotus Exige, Ariel Atom or a used air cooled 911. In that vein, I settled on the SC. Not to say that money is no object to me, I have nearly the price of an Elise spent on my SC, no regrets and, this time I mean it, I'll never sell this car!

As i said, I'm sure you'll love whichever 911 you decide on. I do believe that it does behoove you to be certain of the basis for your choice.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:31 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll give my honest opinion (not politically correct "drive them all" advice ), after having driven many cars from 1982 through 1989 models...

My preference in these cars are the 81-83 SCs, or the 84-85 Carrera models. The early Carreras are noticibly lighter in feel than the later Carreras, and therefore much more sporting in nature. I really disliked strongly the G50 cars (87-89) because of their heft to HP ratios, and their numb shifters. (The 915, when working properly, is more engaging to drive than the G50 IMO. It is more mechanical in feel.) I drove a Wong-chipped, SSI-equipped 88 that I should have loved, and ended up absolutely hating it. It felt like the Cadillac of 911s. The 86 models still have the 915, but have a higher seating position than other years, and and are starting to get porky.

I ended up with a very nice '83 SC with low miles. I added SSIs and a Monty, and the car has very ample power. I also completely redid the suspension, which made the car come to life. It is also relatively light, even with the sunroof, at under 2800 lbs. I could have been just as happy, however, with a nice 84 Carrera, had I found one that fit my needs.

I also like the shorter gearing of the SC over the Carrera...much better for USA accelaration, and autocross.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:27 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my even less polictically correct opinion. Disclaimer - I love all 911s, but the man is asking for an opinion so here goes...

Since I didn't see a price ceiling in your post (it's late), I would strongly recommend considering the later air cooled cars - especially the 993. When I was shopping for my first Porsche I drove every 911 I could get my hands on. While I liked the earlier cars, especially the G50 Carreras and the 964s, the 993 (for me) was just better. Better brakes, better handling, better rear suspension, better interior quality, better looks, better shifting, etc etc. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And if the 993 did not exist, I would have been perfectly happier with an earlier car. Scanning through the responses of this post, I couldn't get my eyes off Jay's Viper Green 73 - a beautiful car.

You have a great problem. Enjoy your search. As for me, I'll never sell my 993, but I'd love to pick up an earlier 911 at some point or a 997GT3
Old 08-04-2006, 05:27 AM
mschafer71
Instructor

87-89 with a better exhaust set up and chip will counteract any weight edge, G-50 is a solid tranmission. Throw in some bilsteins, turbo tie rods, and new bushings-- youre set.

Quick Reply: SC or Carrera