Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

tail and door paint cost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:09 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tail and door paint cost?

Adding a tail to my 86' cab. Any knowledge out there as to what is a fair price for paint? Got to match my black. Also, I've got a few door dings and thought I might get the door done too. Any ideas on price for that, I want good quality.
Last, any recommendations in the Monterey area for a shop.

P.S. I know about the tail/chin spoiler tandem. I have the front spoiler so am adding the rear.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:37 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Figure a couple hundred bucks for the tail. The final price will depend on the quality of the paint you want them to use, how much detail work has to be done to the tail to smooth out the imperfections and make it fit, and how difficult it is to match your paint.

You can have a paintless dent repair done to get the dings out. I've had them done on my Audi's and 996.

A good paint job for the whole car will run in the thousands of dollars depending on what you want. I would not paint the doors without painting the rest of the car. It is nearly impossible to exactly match paints so you car ends up looking like a jigsaw puzzle at the right viewing angle. My SC is in the paint shop right now getting some fiberglass work and paint job. The final price will end up about $10k to keep things in perspective.

I would call David Loop at David Loop European in Monterey. He is the local go to guy for air cooled Porsches. He can recommend a very good shop for you. His number is 831-393-9995.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:21 PM
sww914
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that a couple hundred for the tail might be a bit low. I just bought a pint of basecoat last week, it was $78.00, and you still need clearcoat. It should take less than a 1/2 pint for a tail, but it's still not cheap.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Real
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Painting

Had mine painted last fall for $250.00. Great quality. Might get rid of a few stone chips this winter via a hood paint job. Do you have the tail??? If not, I have one I'd like to move.

Best of luck & post some b/4 and after pics.

Real
Old 07-24-2006, 10:44 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 56 Posts

I just had a Rennspeed ducktail lid and the stock front bumper cover for my 993 painted for $750. This included some bodywork to repair curb damage inflicted by the previous owner to the lower side panels/center panel of the front cover. The tail needed a bit of prep work as well. I pulled the parts and took them to the body shop.

The parts look great, and I am very pleased.

Quick Reply: tail and door paint cost?