Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Brakes Work Sehr Gut!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:50 AM
wheatdog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brakes Work Sehr Gut!

Installed a beautiful set of 930 calipers and rotors on my '86 Targa which I purchased from our host. These things are massive compared to the stock Carrera set. Install was easy including changing out master cylinder to 23mm. Surprisingly, the whole system bled/airfree'd without issues. Kinda looked like a PIA to me due to the double bleeders on each caliper. I used the old method of hose from bleeder to half filled jar of ATE superblue and pump-fill, pump-fill etc. Locked em up on all four wheels on the first outing with super firm pedal. Excellent!!! Using the Pagid orange pads which hold just fine when cold . They squeak a lot though. Does this improve with use? Threw in polybronze bushings, new sway bar bushings, steel braided brake lines and new ball joints as long as I was there. Front end feels better with the polybronze. No real point to this post except to share the joy. And, if your contemplating doing a brake upgrade and haven't done one yourself, go for it! It's not too tuff. Just make sure you get it right though, if the car don't stop you're screwed.

Mike
Old 07-22-2006, 01:16 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got a set waiting to be put on my car! I will be using Pagid RS 19 pad.

The Orange pad is a race pad so don't expect it to be quiet.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Mike:

Those 930 brakes are just awesome on these lighter cars, and I'm glad that you are pleased with the performance...

As Eric said, race pads (Pagid's or otherwise) are not quiet and will squeal. One can minimize the noise with a liberal application of copper-based antiseize on the pad's backing plates and edges as well as adding a 45 degree chamfer to the leading edges of the pads.

Remember, anti-squeal compounds in brake bads are the first things to melt at high temperatures so those chemicals are left out of race pad formulations.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:59 PM
wheatdog
Intermediate

Hey Steve,
The brake kit worked out great. All machine work and spacers included line up exactly where they should. I love it when a plan comes together. Everything went so smooth, there had to be an "Aw $hit" in there somewhere. The wind blew over my beach umbrella and put a nasty 3" gouge in the paint above my driver's side wheel well. AAAAARRRRGG!!!

Car stops great though.

Mike
Old 07-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Mike:

AAAAARRRGGG, is right. Thats a pisser but those can be fixed with a modicum of patience.

I've had success with layering touchup paint into the gouge over a few weeks and then carefully polishing it down to the level of the rest of the surface. Patience is the key,...
Old 07-23-2006, 07:21 PM
911S3.6
Pro

I have a set of 930 brakes, brembo drilled rotors, upgraded master cylinder etc... on my 2200 lb hybrid 911S3.6. Just did the ultimate shakedown test at Road America-flawless! I'm running the Pagid Orange for track use only and they are incredible. All spec'd and supplied by Mr. Steve Weiner @ Rennsport Systems
A-1 job

///Nick

Quick Reply: New Brakes Work Sehr Gut!