Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

E Cams or S Cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 01:01 PM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Post E Cams or S Cams

Just picked up a 2.7, euro P's & C's, all work done right. Engine has webers & SSi's (unless youall think header will be better) Dynoed at 231hp. Everything i've read, says use E cams in this setup. Is it worth swapping out to the E's, or are the S's going to work fine and what am i really giving up staying with S's, or what will i get with E's

Car is a 70S (2000lbs) use for track 50% and street 50%

thannks
Old 03-22-2002, 04:08 PM
Billy B
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might get some more mid-range power and drivability with the "E" cams. Try it with the "S" cams and she how it is before you spend the $$.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:36 PM
JPIII
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a 50/50 guy also, tho AX is my "track".
I have a 2.7L with Solex cams (Kind of an E cam with closer lobe centers)and 9.7:1 compression.

I suspect your motor will be a happy camper on the track, but less so on the street.
Mine is happiest above 3500 rpm. I looked into the S grind and was advised against it for what I planned to do with the car.

Quite frankly, the Solex is just a bit less of a PITA. In a light car below 3500, one feels every uneveness of the power delivery...kinda herky/jerkey. You pay for the splendid top end power, provided by all that overlap, down low. I find my self leaving it in 4th gear under 60 mph on the freeway. I go thru plugs at a alarming rate
(fouling) but an MDS unit just went in to help out in this (I hope).

It's all worth the hassle when (at WOT) the rpms reach 4500 or so and it blows off the rear tires (in the lower gears, of course).
This can getcha' in trouble on the street.

It is not the ideal grind for AX, either. Keeping it on the boil is a challenge with all the rest of the stuff going on....but the learning phase is fun.

Looking at the E specs makes me believe that they wouldn't be much better at delivering low end grunt. My 2.4L T engine had wonderful low end, but went flat about 6000. T cams with more lift would seem like an ideal 2.7L cam for AX.

To your quandry:
I would give the S cams a shot and see how you like em'. I know a fella that loves em' in his
MFI, 2.7L. I have been told that carbs and this
grind can be a bit problematic, but have no personal experience with that.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:25 PM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
thanks;

I just received a line from the guru, B Anderson, who just conceeded that his previous claim of E cams being the one's to go with in this setup, are actually not as good as the S cam, based upon some significant debating with jerry Woods. don't really know the reasoning, but that is his advice, which we all know is as close to god as we can get.

I haven't given much thought to how much i will be fouling plugs driving on the street, but we should be able to tune that out to the most part.

Quick Reply: E Cams or S Cams