Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Choosing a ducktail - difference in quality?

Old 07-19-2006, 02:37 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choosing a ducktail - difference in quality?

After picking up a carrera tail replica off e-bay recently, I've decided that my 78 will look better with a duckie tail.

Now, fiberglass versions are to be had for $299 from Performance Products, but I have seen carbon fiber versions for $599. I assume these are for racers who want to minimize weight.

In your opinion what is the best quality duck out there?

Ulrich
Old 07-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hands, down,..by FAR, the factory ones are the best. These have a steel frame inside them.

Aftermarket ones always take a lot of work to fit, but the ones from Getty Deisgn are very good.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:03 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my ducktail from Rennspeed....at the time i got it....$299 plus $60 for shipping to GA....it did take some prep work by the shop to get it fitting just right....but the labor was really fairly inexpensive....I also had some other paint work and other issues so actual finished cost isnt readily available....but this is the second ductail I purchased....the first one was more expensive and was actually harder to fit and needed much more prep than this one did....I am very pleased with the final product.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:06 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

And one more showing the finishing touch.....my favorite part of the ducktail is the emblem....
Old 07-19-2006, 06:07 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were the hinges predrilled for fitting on the Rennspeed version? Would you mind sharing which brand the other one was?

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:19 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

Yes they were pre drilled with aluminum inserts to use all factory hardware.....the other lid was from AIR several years ago. I agree by the way the factory lids are by far the best....but I can buy a lot of replicas and spend a lot of money getting a proper fit for what one of those cost...and the fiberglass wont separate from the meteal base at some point in time....you also have to be aware there are a couple replica lids that have an improper side profile to them....I can't remember which lid that is off hand....I can tell you the lid from Rennspeed has the correct side profile....as does the one from MA Shaw at about twice the price...fwiw
Old 07-19-2006, 06:23 PM
racer
Drifting

I've heard that Getty Design and MA shaw ones are the same. MA Shaw's are made by Getty Design. Can anyone else confirm this?

Love the Duck on my '78 too! The world needs more ducks
Old 07-19-2006, 06:55 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

im not sure which is which....ma shaw builds for getty...or getty builds for ma shaw....but they are the same lid from what i understand
Old 07-19-2006, 07:35 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Mine's from GT-Racing(came with the car), material and quality seems to be pretty good.
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choosing a ducktail - difference in quality?