Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can't hold ride height

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 01:17 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can't hold ride height

Hi guys, I was working with a couple of guys on a friend’s 83 SC this weekend and I think we got something wrong. We started off by replacing the tie rods with turbo tie rods. In the process we had to remove the sway bar. We tugged on it a little and it came out. The problem arose when I tried to get the sway bar back in. After reading the Hanyes and 101 Project books, I came to the conclusion we needed to remove one of the front A-arms to get it back in. There has got to be a better way to do this….

Anyway, after we put everything back together (not sure if we did this correctly), the car would not hold its ride height. When you take a turn, you hear what sounds like grinding. It looks like the torsion bar is slipping in the adjustment cap. My first idea is to replace the cap. Any other suggestion????

George
Old 04-21-2003, 10:38 PM
TONY88COUPE
Track Day

George, I replaced my tie rods and found that the sway bar will fall if the tire is removed. You need to have a load on the spindle. We did not have to remove the A-arm. Also I could not figure out the large washer. The washer goes on first this is to stop you from over steering. It is a stop for the rack gear, make sure you installed it. You will need to have the car realigned after installing the tie rods.
Tony
Old 04-22-2003, 10:56 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

What do you mean by the sway bar will fall? Will it fall out of the way or will it come off?

The A-arms had no drop links/holders, they had a welded on collar with a bushing that you slide the sway bar into. We had the wheels off and I don't think that changes anything in the geometry of the suspension to let you remove/install the sway bar. We did use the large washers on both ends and were about to take it to an alignment shop until we took it for a quick spin and we heard a scraping sound. When we came back the ride height dropped significantly.

George

Quick Reply: Can't hold ride height