Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Trying to help a friend with a purchase, could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
TheStock
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trying to help a friend with a purchase, could use some advice

I found this 82 911 SC for sale in the Pelican Parts classifieds and was wondering if anyone could give me an opinon on it. Trying to help a buddy of mine buy his first Porsche. After taking a ride in mine, he was sold.
Any response would be greatly appreciated.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=292287
Old 07-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a nice car at a very fair price.Go get a PPI at a reputable Porsche shop.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not really enough photos to judge the car but:
1. Does the car come with its catalytic converter? Some states will require it.
2. Records that will support the mileage claim, which is very low.
3. Receipts that will support the update claims (speedo, plug wires, sway bars, etc., etc.).
4. Receipts for lowering, corner balance and alignment.

An expert PPI is definitely required on this car!
Pete
Old 07-12-2006, 03:56 PM
TheStock
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses, I'll be sure to relay the importance of the PPI.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a semi-track type car to me based on some of those mods. What type of car is your friend looking for? Daily driver? Track car? Nice car for weekend driving? Concours type stuff?

Cars like this definitely need a PPI if the buyer is unfamiliar with Porsche.

Remember the catalytic converter will cost $500 for an aftermarket one and over $1000 for a Porsche OEM cat.

If the car drives well, is rust free and presents reasonably well, then $10,000 would be a rather low asking price in my area. I don't know how the California market is however... That lower price point makes me wonder what other issue could be hiding.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 07-12-2006, 05:49 PM
TheStock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay H
Looks like a semi-track type car to me based on some of those mods. What type of car is your friend looking for? Daily driver? Track car? Nice car for weekend driving? Concours type stuff?

Cars like this definitely need a PPI if the buyer is unfamiliar with Porsche.

Remember the catalytic converter will cost $500 for an aftermarket one and over $1000 for a Porsche OEM cat.

If the car drives well, is rust free and presents reasonably well, then $10,000 would be a rather low asking price in my area. I don't know how the California market is however... That lower price point makes me wonder what other issue could be hiding.
Far as I can tell, he's looking for a daily driver. Not something that would only be taken out on a sunny day drive.
As long as it passes smog, the cat shouldn't be an issue. It is illegal in WA to drive without a cat, but mine lacks a cat and passed smog with no problem. If it passed the Cali smog, it should be fine up here.
I couldn't tell if the $10k was too low or not because the kbb only goes down to 86 and even if it did go to 82 I wouldn't exactly trust it. It did say that an 86 in exc condition would run about $15k, but again, can't put much faith into that number since it seems only a good source of information on common vehicles.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

kbb.com is not a real good tool for getting a value for an older 911. Those values are typically far too low.

Values tend to be running a bit higher than what we've seen over the past few years. A very nice 1986 coupe will run you $19-20k or more nowadays. CA may be different though. Higher mileage 915 equipped 3.2's are in the mid teens or so for pricing and those typically have a few issues present or looming.

A very nice SC should run anywhere from $13,000 or $14,000 and up to $20,000 for a perfect example.

But if this car appeals to your friend and runs nicely, it's definitely worth a good look. I don't think there are any glaring errors staring us in the face from the description in the ad and the relatively vague pictures. However, a PPI is necessary....

Jay
90 964
84 3.2

Quick Reply: Trying to help a friend with a purchase, could use some advice