Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Expert please. Alternator/VR off. Can someone help inspect pics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:41 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert please. Alternator/VR off. Can someone help inspect pics?

Problem: Idling is ok but when rev up to higher than 1k RPM, voltage increase. It can be up to 16+ V. I am not sure if it's my VR or just the battery.

I took my fan/alternator/VR off the car and took some pics. Can someone look the VR to see if it's my problem maker?

Also, On the back of the fan, I can see some cracking and peeling, not the fan itself but the thin layer like those line connection on the circuit board. Is it's normal or is it something to concern? Is my alternator/fan ok?

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

You have come this far. Why not just Rand R your alternator, have new bearings put in , put in a new regulator and be woory free for a few more years. Consider it good PM even if it doesn't fix your problem.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:56 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

theiceman,
what is R and R? What is PM?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Face15
Advanced

He means it would be good Preventative Maintenance (PM) to go ahead and refurbish your alternator at a local alternator shop, replacing the bearings (which are common wear items and cause problems when old) and put a NEW Voltage Regulator on it while you're in there. I did this a few years back after experiencing voltage spikes as well - my problem turned out to be a bad voltage regulator.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:23 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

I wanted to replace the VR but when I take it out, I suspect several things. 1- the VR still have some juice, so maybe something else is the real problem. I have to find that problem. Then I saw that thin layer crack and peel (pics above). I am not sure if that layer peel can be the problem or if it's normal. If it's the problem, then replacing the VR will do nothing to it. If it's not, then replacing the VR will be good.
Look like a trip to the shop would be it.
Thanks.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:02 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Finally I took it to the pro. for rebuilt. They rebuilt it within a day. Took it back, strip it out and it turn out they only replace the VR. To be specific, they painted most part silver paint, and a redish kind of paint in the inner of the alternator. All other parts are still in there. The cracks/peels are still there, but covered by a layer of that redish paint thing.
Regards the VR, the manetic pieces on my old VR were not that much shorter than this new one. Look like the old VR isn't that old. Why did it get too hot and almost burned? Maybe the battery was the original issue. Well, I got a new battery anyway. Too much to go back to find out.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:15 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I am really surprised they did not replace the bearings on your alternator.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Does any one have the bearing numbers or sizes. I'm probably doing one today...
Old 07-13-2006, 10:10 PM
glenncof
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rnln,

Reading your other post on the battery fluid being very low and high voltage reading clearly means over-charging.

From the "appearance" of the regular it looks relatively new and the brushes/slip rings not badly worn (I don't see a lot of dust from worn brusches either.) I use the same shop evrytime (starter/alternators) and they do failure analysis, show me the worn parts. Of course after rebuild they should test it but the shop may have tested it as OK initially and assumed intermittent high voltage was regulator.

Two things you could do is 1) measure battery voltage after reinstallation and 2) ask the shop exactly what they did & why. Take the photos in and ask them about it. Have you had this vehicle for awhile to know this system worked properly (I assume your wiring is stock.)

The problem could be elsewhere such as a bad connection, especially ground.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:22 PM
glenncof
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One last note. My 1985 had an early regulator failure at 22K miles. The mechanic that did it had to modify the shroud since the new regular had a heat sink on it. There may have been a TSB on this as I recall.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:15 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Glenncof,
you scared me. After all this efford and if the problem is still there, I probably kick the car bad.
I only have the car for a little over 1/2 year.
What is TSB?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

TSB- Technical service Bulletin
Old 07-14-2006, 11:37 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

R & R is Remove & Replace. My rule of thumb is to always put a new alternator and Voltage Regulator if the old one checks bad. It is in a very vulnerable location due to heat and RPM's and a pain to R & R. Not my favorite thing to do. If you fix one thing, another may pop up at any time. So, I try to cover my bases and do it all at one time and have a brand new baselined alternator, not guessing when some other part on it may fail. I just went through this effort recently and am glad I replace all with new parts.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

On mine the thing is so old I couldn't even find a brush assembly for it ( external regulator ) . But since I was polishing the fan anyway and getting all the old cosmoline off , I took the alternator out, replaced the front and rear bearings, turned the slip rings on lathe and cleaned up the half rusted rotor.

Works great ...
Old 07-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Kevinb
Intermediate

Check out this link to find the alternator and parts. Then you can find a local distributor that sells the parts.

http://www.wai-wetherill.com/products/ymm.cfm

Kevin B
82SC

Quick Reply: Expert please. Alternator/VR off. Can someone help inspect pics?