Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 Carrera Electrical Symptoms - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Carrera Electrical Symptoms - Please Help!

Hi everyone,

Has anyone experimented the following symptoms to know if it's the alternator, regulator or battery?

- Starter cranks slowly to the point to have to push the car

- When cruising at night and flooring it past ~3k rpms, all electrical accesories suddelny increase their strength (headlights appear like HID , a/c fan suddenly increases speed , dash lights, etc..)

I measured the battery before starting (12.7 V), during idle (13 V), and if accelerated when parked (15V)

The car has been stroed for a couple of years and recently taken out for daily use. Is the starter cable corrosion so bad to cause sluggish cranking? I cleaned the contacts and Ground strap.

Thnaks
Old 07-10-2006, 01:12 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

anything measured higher than low 14+ is usually volt reg.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

With all due respect if you can not change your own alternator belt I would not suggest trying to take your alternator out. But I think what you should do is.

1. learn to change your belt and keep a spare in your car ( takes about 10 min to change ) The tools should be in your tool kit.
2. Regardless of how the alternator feels change the bearings. A descent shop should do this fairly cheaply. I pulled my alternator , read the bearing numbers off them, got new ones and took them to a alt shop where they had a press and the guy did it for $30.00. I have a 78 so I am sure my bearings are different.

It is true that an alternator is not designed for 100% duty cycle and a bad regulator could put it at 100% duty cycle but it would boil your battery. The alternator system is under more strain when " charging" as the field effect set up by the regulator is fully active and creates resistance to turning, but holly crap is that ever marginal.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Thanks for the bearing tip. It's a good "while your there" job. I forgot to mention that the seatbelt light turns on when the symptoms happen.

Quick Reply: 87 Carrera Electrical Symptoms - Please Help!