911 Value

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:21 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 911 Value

Hi guys,

I'm a 951 owner and a prospective 911 owner, I would like to know a ball park figure for a 78 911 narrow body with a twin turbo motor of 3.3L (might be more) 4 spd trans and no more K jet-tronic (I think it is running a form of Motronic but I know it is a Porsche EFI system) I have ridden in it and it is FAST, I have heard casual figures of 400 HP at 6 psi of boost (140mph came up really fast).

The body is all there with no major dings and faided brown paint, there is a spot of rust at the lower rear window. (any other specific spots I should look for rust?)

The interior is stock and worn but all there.

The suspension has newish bilstien HD's but "needs some minor attention"

The car is owned by the president of an aftermarket company and knows 911s. He built the motor and I think I remember him saying he machined titanium rods for it. I would trust his engine building skills. He says the motor was built for 20 PSI and makes a ton of power at that boost level (on race gas).

What do you guys think a ball park figure is for this car? What would some of you pay for it? I know it is tough because it is sight unseen and such a non stock car but it is all there and runs like a scalded cat.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you thought, this is a tough car to put a value on since it is so modified. I think a large piece of the value for it compared to a stock 78 turbo is going to be what it is worth you personally. And remember, resale me be difficult for you down the road.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This sounds like a rat with a hot motor. A running and driving but worn 'regular' '78 SC with poor paint, rust, in need of suspension work and a tired interior is maybe worth $7000 to $10,000 depending on your area.

Someone may want just a fast car and might pay $15k for it to have the 400 hp or so that this car claims to have. Others may be interested in it, but only at the above price range. It'll be a very hard car to sell, especially with faded paint, the rust, and all the other stuff it probably needs.

You can spend $5000 in a hurry on a paint job for a 911. Past posts have stated that maybe it's best to spend $1000 on a paint job for a car like this to make them a good 5 foot car verses dumping a lot of money into a pretty modified car that needs a lot of other stuff.

You can dump $3000 into an interior very quickly and still not be done. Recovering stock Porsche seats can run over $1000. Good carpet is $600 to $800 for a full set not including installation. Trim piece are expensive as well and some stuff has been discontinued by Porsche. Dash tops are $1000, knee guards are $250 per side, etc, etc, etc.

For starters, look for more rust on the lower portion of the 'A' pillars, door jamb areas, bottoms of the doors, lower rear window area, place where the front fender meets the front valance area and the area in the front cowl where the wipers come out of the body.

I'll do the math for fun:

$10,000 purchase price
$3000 interior restoration
$1000 suspension work
$2000 paint and rust removal in the one spot mentioned
$2000 tires, brakes, fluid changes, full tune up, misc items

$18,000 total. Maybe. I suppose that's not the worst for a 400 hp car, but one miscalculation or a higher purchase price gets you close to (or above) a nice 930 that will have far more resale value. You could also just ignore the paint and interior and save some money. It's up to you on what you could put up with. I bought a poor paint car and thought I could live with it, but ended up having the paint work done right away since I couldn't stand looking at a trashed 911.

If you like the car, I agree to still pursue it. I could see how a narrow body car in brown with a hot motor could be one hell of a sleeper. However, do your homework and go in with your eyes wide open. Money can usually fix most things on these cars, but you tend to need a lot of money on these cars.

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 07-07-2006, 03:54 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response.
This is the exact type of response I was looking for.
I'm also fairly aware of the what kind of prices some of the needed parts are. I did however want the opinion of the oil cooled renlist community.

Quick Reply: 911 Value