Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I did a bad taste thing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006 | 11:50 PM
DARISC
Racer

Default I did a bad taste thing

'Thought I'd add a touch of class to my bland SC body, so I had the very classy & classic Firebird Screamin' Chicken painted on it's hood - in black to keep it subtle & low key.

Now the air-cooled guys don't wave at me anymore. A lot of Pontiac guys do, but kinda half heartedly (they only use one finger).

[IMG]screamin chicken.jpg [/IMG]
Old 07-01-2006 | 12:22 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Tell me that is photoshop at work ....
Old 07-01-2006 | 01:29 AM
tchanson
Racer

Default Irony is a switchblade...

The fine line of factory equipped taste between two essentially '70's icons is exceedingly thin.

Tim
Old 07-01-2006 | 02:04 AM
sww914
Instructor

Ummmmm, I'm speechless.
If it's a decal, I have a stripe eraser that will remove it and not damage the paint. If it's paint, I can probably scrape it off with a razor blade and then polish it out and you'll be good as new, but let's get it done quickly before too many more people see it!
It's a long weekend, if you drive it up to the Central Coast, near Morro Bay, I'll gladly remove it for you.
It's a small price to pay for the good of the Porsche community.
But, it will probably increase the value of the car in Bakersfield.
Old 07-01-2006 | 02:05 AM
sww914
Instructor

Oh' let's get Clyde to bring his black car with the 911 on the hood, I'll take that off too.
Old 07-01-2006 | 02:06 AM
DARISC
Racer

Default Truer words were never spoken

I started out w/fart cans (of course they don't show in this view). Fell in luv w/the spinner idea, but had to lose the Fuchs and go to heavier steel wheels to get the very lightweight aluminium hub caps with the spinners (Boy, are THEY hard to find nowadays!).

The fully functional knock off spinners are extremely light weight and make getting to the grease caps a snap.

Speaking of snap, unfortunately the spinners are the domestic variety that don't come stamped "offside undo ->" like the Brit spinners do, and I snapped off one of the three wings on the driver's side rear when I struck it too hard in the wrong direction with my dead blow trying to remove it - not visually noticeable over about 7.63 mph, so I'll let that fix'it project go 'till a rainy day. Can pot metal be welded?

The idea of Genuine vinyl woodgrain sides is really tacky! I'm going with genuine mahogany veneer for it's buoyancy (vinyl is very heavy).

When all done, the car just screamed out for thin whitewalls! Boy, it never ends, does it!

Last edited by DARISC; 10-04-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2006 | 02:11 AM
sww914
Instructor

At second thought, I'm starting to like it, Bring it up this weekend, and we can paint the bumpers, mirrors, and door handles white, I think that will really give you the POP it needs.
My next door neighbor has a used set of underbody neon lights, in purple, that he tried to give me, we can throw those on also.
Old 07-01-2006 | 02:58 AM
skruggs964
Pro

I'm thinking that the car needs some hydraulic work done to make it a hopper! Now that would be cool!
Old 07-01-2006 | 04:25 AM
DARISC
Racer

sww914 -
I'd rather keep the car in good taste and not paint the bumpers, door handles & mirrors white.

Thanx for the offer of the neon, but I already have the side tubes installed - forgot to turn 'em on for the photo.

Finally got my curb feelers in place - used scavenged light weight racing radio antennae from a couple old RSR's I found in the local junkyard. The front feelers are functional but because of their low mounting position they pick up the low freq. stations the best.

First trial run I forgot to turn off the radio when parallel parking and blew all 7 of my midrange woofertweeters out and had bad earaches for a week.

Ahhh, what we don't put up with for the love of these old cars!
Old 07-01-2006 | 04:32 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

actually a porsche with thin whitewalls might not look bad...
Old 07-01-2006 | 05:12 AM
Spodie!
Instructor

I worked with Ice-T way back when he was driving a NSX with a screaming chicken on its hood.

I believe the car was purple.
Old 07-01-2006 | 05:56 AM
DARISC
Racer

sww914 & tchanson -

In all seriousness, I really like Clyde's black 911 w/stripes/numerals. For a street car I'm really discriminating about what is done to the classic 911 form beyond what Porsche itself has done.
As far as track cars go, anything goes & it's aw'right by me!

Kinda funny though - I'm not a purist, but there's something so pure about the 911 shape that almost nothing done to it by us owners to "enhance" it "works".

But I grew up when sports cars raced w/their nations official racing colors painted on their bodies and were practrically devoid of any commercial advertisements at all. The U.S. & Germany were unique, as I recall, in that Germany raced silver or white, U.S. raced red, white & blue. All the other countries had but one official color - BRG, Italia =red, French Racing Bleu, etc.

From that era came my fondness for racing stripes, as on the U.S. cars, (remember the Cunninghams for example?) and the first thing I did when I bought my first sports car, a red 59 Bugeyed Sprite, was buy a wide roll of white vinyl tape and put down two stripes bisecting the car from stem to stern.

Comical to me now, I remember how indignant I felt when years later, I saw a car in a mag with a racing stripe (or two, don't remember) off-center on the drivers side. Sacrilege!, I thought.

Anyway, I dig your car, Clyde, whoever you are!

Ahh yes.....sww914, your kind offer, re my screamin' chicken removal - my buddy in AZ, who painted the chicken, paints airplanes using Imron - you know about Imron?

Jus' shuckin' & jiven' - Photoshop - wipes right off.
Old 07-01-2006 | 10:13 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

busted ya on the first pic ....

but it is true one of the smartest cars around is an E-Type Jag in BRG

ice
Old 07-01-2006 | 10:22 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Darisc,
Great post. I was set to make you a good offer on the car. Especially like the curb feelers. I would run it without the front bonnet for additional cooling.

Last edited by Larry Harris; 07-01-2006 at 10:25 AM. Reason: additions
Old 07-01-2006 | 11:11 AM
My87Targa
Racer

i love the curb feeler

Quick Reply: I did a bad taste thing